Bennington tri toon

50.9 mph with Merc Verado 250 Pro, 18 pitch prop, 1 aboard, light fuel.

There are long threads with many performance details you might be interested in.

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/755-list-your-specs-here/

IMHO the ESP is not so much about top speed as it is handling. The twin ellipticals and the new triple SPS with 4 cylinder 200's are very fast as well.

I think you would see 43-45 depending on load and conditions. Just my guess based on looking through various performance bulletins.

What kind of speed are you getting with the ESP? We are thinking 2250 GSR ESP with a 250 yamaha SHO with stainless prop
I ran a 2250G last year with ESP/250 SHO. It was brand new and we had just installed a Saltwater Series 19p on it. We had 4-5 people on the boat and still managed around 48 mph GPS. I personally didn't like the prop, but it's what the customer wanted. It had decent speed though.  A little tweaking and I'm confident it could break 50mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get 42mph with 3 or 4 on board and more than half a tank of fuel so you should do better with a 22' boat (ours is a 25').

Jack

What kind of speed are you getting with the ESP? We are thinking 2250 GSR ESP with a 250 yamaha SHO with stainless prop
Well, I'm at a bit more of a disadvantage when it comes to speed. I have a 2275RCW Sport Tower with a SHO 250. Me and the wife maxed out at 44.6 or so, full 50g of fuel, but the tower and all my stereo and batteries and other gear probably add up to the weight of 3 or more people. That being said, with all that stuff and with 9 people on board we still did 39.3 or so. As for the ESP, love it. I sold another couple on it, they had a 1 year old "other" brand tri toon with a 150 Merc, well they came for a ride with me in my old 2012 2275RCW with a 200 SHO, well,  they bought a new boat. It's great.

Looking at the options for the 2250 GSR ESP . No speedo on the boat would the GPS speedometer with compass be good? Also upgrading to the R series captains chairs? Led docking lights, are they bright and work good? In floor storage , how big is the storage compartment?

I would say yes to the gps, it's the only thing I look at for speed, get the upgraded gps color. Definitely recommend the R chairs, and the absolute must is the in floor storage on an ESP!!! It is HUGE! In mine I had a couple oars 2 fishing rods in cases, a couple bigger bumpers, a 2 person HO Drifter tube, a 3 person tube(Obrien chariot style) a kneeboard and a wakeboard!! I had 2 wakeboards in there once, but might not have had the 3 person tube at that time. It is huge and worth every penny! 

I asked my dealer about the size of the in-floor storage and he opened the lid, and laid down in it. He couldn't touch either end, and you could have put a bunch of stuff on top of him. I was amazed that it was that big. As for the chairs, I ordered the R series chairs for mine. A little higher backs, more comfortable. I went with an upgraded GPS/depthfinder by Humminbird, dealer or me-installed. Boat speedometers are very inaccurate, GPS almost always is right on. I went with the stainless LED docking lights because the ABS ones just don't appear to be sturdy enough, and the stainless LED lights were a lower profile.. I don't live on the lake, so I probably will not use them to dock. The LED's did appear to be at least as bright, if not brighter, than the incandescent ABS. Daytime so it was hard to tell for sure though.

Of all options I could never live without, it's my elevated helm .... I know you didn't ask, but I figured I'd throw it out there. I also would upgrade to the R chair, led stainless dock lights. Can't comment on storage, don't have it. Also, if budget allows, I'd go 25'. You can never have too much space.

Last edited by a moderator:
++1 on the elevated helm.  It's amazing what a few inches of elevation will do for your field of vision especially when docking.

Jack

I wish it was available on the s. I'm tall enough it hasn't been an issue but I can see the real benefit in sitting higher.

++1 on the elevated helm.  It's amazing what a few inches of elevation will do for your field of vision especially when docking.

Jack
The elevated helm  was one of the "must haves" on our new order 

I have a bennington dealer and a South Bay dealer both within 10 miles of me. Both dealers have been selling sence 2000. Having said that, if you looked at the river 5 years ago nothing but South Bay out there. Now nothing but bennington in fact The rumor around our town is that South Bay is going out of Business and the marina has know Clue what to do. I have been tied up to many South Bay and the bennington not only looks better, it also holds up better. And that's my view from the river.

Isn't South bay a Berkshire company? Can't imagine they would be closing. Who knows though. My mom works for AT&T and their office was the most profitable one year, the company threw a party for them, then announced next day they were closing it. True story. I guess you never know what to expect in todays times.

Yes it is a division of Forest River RV products and they are a Berkshire Company. It was one of my three finalist when I was shopping but quality was not there. Narrowed it down to Harris and Bennington. Bennington of course won out for many reasons.

Forest River is a Berkshire Hathaway company owned by Warren Buffet. Warren's companies don't do anything that's not first class, and they're here for the long run with deep pocketbooks and good marketing if they're profitable.

I heard at the Boat Show a year ago that Berkshire products construction methods, etc. don't hold up in comparison with a Bennington. I assume they take some short cuts that cannot be seen from above--covered up by aluminum sheeting.

I test drove many manufacturers pontoons before deciding. I thought the Bennington with esp handled the best especially in the turns. Tested a 2550 with esp and the Yamaha 225. 3 guys 200+lbs each my wife and 2 kids. 2-3 foot chop on Lake St clair 42 mph on speedo. Check out the Yamaha performance bullitins http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins/archive

Back