Bennnington and Yamaha website - 2250 GSR twin Elips

mtudb24

Reaction score
So, currently any 22 series boat with twin elip tubes is limited to 150hp by Bennington

So I find this Yamaha test site for their outboards.

Is TB upping the HP on the twin elip equpped boat.?

a 2250GS which Bennington says is limited to 150hp but the meet and greet had a 200hp Yamaha VLA and runs extremely well

Here is the link

Bascially a 2250 that runs 48mph. So TB, are you doing something to the transom to make the 200hp work or are you under rated from the get go. I doubt they did much to make the transom hold the power of a 200 from the current max hp of 150.

I want to know, cause I'll throw a 200 Prox XS vs my 150 Pro xs on in heartbeat

TB can you weigh in if you change any changes to transom to hold a 200hp or were you always under rated on what a twin elip boat could handle HP wise

My 150 Pro XS will hit 44mph on a EXTREMELY light loat. Typical load is low 40o's. But it I can run 48mph, I love the boat so much, I'd be willing to take a hit and upgrad to a 200 Pro SX and maybe hit near 50mph

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/BNT_2250GSR_VF200LA_2013-04-24_PNT_0.pdf

WOW, those are some pretty amazing statistics

mtudb24 I too love my 2375GCW with elipticals and a 150 but I sure would consider upgrading for a 200 if it would work. Come on TB fill us in.

I want a 200 on mine too. Wish I knew this when we got the boat

That's great news copperline! You are close enough that I may want your used 150 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great news copperline! You are closr enough that I may want your used 150 :)
Ok!! Well let's see what TB has to say about this. I love our 150 but man what a Difference a 200 would make.

So do any of you guys wonder about the turning capability of a 2 tube boat going 48mph? It obviously does lean to the outside.

Ok!! Well let's see what TB has to say about this. I love our 150 but man what a Difference a 200 would make.
A big difference is in the cost per mile to run it. Getting in the 2's mpg is really tough on the pocketbook.

I put 120 miles yesterday on my 24SSLX getting something over 4 mpg with a F150 @ 20 mph average.

I get 3.5mpg @20mph with my 250, so I wouldn't think the 200 would be quite that bad. 4+ for 120mi IS great though!

Could be wrong, but I believe that upping the motor capacity to 200 is new for '13? TB...is this correct & is it only on a certain length & above?

The twin ellip is a straight line boat at those speeds. But so is a fully straked SPS. Turning at higher speeds isn't either boats forte

That being said, the speed is the only reason I'd consider buying the twin ellips in the first place. I don't plan on making any high speed turns at WOT with any 'toon, so I hope they raise the HP rating to 200+.

I tested the sps with a 200 at the club event and it turned great at speed, no outside lean and was nice. Of course it is not esp but would be a huge improvement for us. Also, I've looked at the last two Yamaha promotions and the 150 and new 200 I-4 are excluded so that is really a bummer. I wonder why these would not be included and are they ever going to be?????

I tested the sps with a 200 at the club event and it turned great at speed, no outside lean and was nice.
A fully straked SPS don't turn worth a darn at high speed. The SPS you tested must not have had outer strakes, otherwise it would have leaned hard to the outside. If it was fully straked, you either weren't going very fast or didn't turn very sharp LOL.

Now that I think about it, the boat probably had a Yamaha on it.......so I know it wasn't going very fast. :lol:

Back