Benny projects including LEDs

spinzone

Reaction score
Since I could not add strakes to my boat and buying a bigger motor is almost worthless without strakes, I decided to do some updates to my boat. I guess I had money burning a hole in my pocket.

I added a 2nd deep cycle battery, with Blue Sea switch, solenoid, and onboard charger from Pro Charging Systems.

Updated the sound system with new Rockford Fosgate speakers all the way, RF 600 watt Amp, 10' RF marine sub. It is night and day compared to the stock sound system.

I installed LED side illumination. Big thanks to Geewest for walking me through this. I have a new found respect for all the work he did on his ski boat. That is a p.i.t.a. to do. I can't imagine how tough his project was doing every nook and cranny of his boat.

Brackets made by machine shop for underwater lights and Shadow Caster SCM6s on both sides of the stern. These have not been installed yet. I ran out of time yesterday.

All I have left to do are the lighted cup holders and mount/wire my underwater lights and I'm done for my early spring projects! Have a great weekend all.

photo-5.JPG

photo-6.JPG

photo-2.JPG

photo-3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks REALLY cool!

I don't have a problem drilling holes and running wires, but just curious (not having spent much time under our new boat) how you deal with the wave shield? Do you have to take sections of it off to get the wires where you want? Or are there enough openings here and there where wires can be routed without removing any of the wave shield? I have the express package, and while I'm pretty sure it's not a full sheet of metal that covers the entire bottom of the boat, I'm not 100% sure.

Also, thought I read blue wasn't allowed (reserved for law enforcement). Is that not true? Or does it vary state to state?

Thanks for the compliment. It was a ton of work!

Running the wire is a pain. The wave shield is held up with rivets so pulling it is not worth the time. I got a 16' piece of firm wire from Lowes and created a loop to fish wires where I needed them to be.

I'm a member of another forum to which our local Marine Patrol frequents. His stance is that lights in a channel are a NO, regardless of color. Blue lights are typically reserved for LE. However, these lights can change to any color I want them to be and will also complete some cool fading/jumping cycles. Our Marine Patrol say they have no issues with them in blue as long as they are not flashing.

Ok ur gonna have to pull her out and show us what you did!

What LED's did you go with?

Your going to be super happy with the SC6 underwater lights.

Im stoked for you and i wanna see what you did so up load all your pictures.

I would like to see pics of how they are all mounted and a list of materials and where the deals were found, looks great I would like to do this to mine as well because we are on the water after dark a fair amount too.

Gee,

I promise, as soon as I find a reason to drive the truck down, I'll do it to get pics of the polish job and all the new upgrades. I chose to go with the RGB 300 5050 SMD from your guy Bill over at superbrightleds.com. They were a big help and everything worked great. I'd read horror stories of the cheaper LEDs with bulbs that came burnt out so I figured spending the cash now was well worth it.

Wild, be prepared to spend some cash and time on this one depending how intricate you want to go. Watch all of Geewests' videos on YouTube that you can.

To do the sides, I got 3 16.5' strands of RGB lights in the silicone sleeve, 4 end caps with holes, 2 end caps without, silicone sealant, rgb 12amp controller, 50' 4cable rgb wire, 50 silicone mounting clips from super bright.

I also got spools of 12awg power and ground wires from my local stereo shop, 100 ss screws for mounting clips at Lowes, and 1 roll of 3m vhb tape from Fastenal. Oh, and shrink tubing and lots of it.

All in all, I think I have $700 invested in LEDs. I could have done the 150 5050smds for $400 or so, but I wanted to be the biggest, brightest, and baddest on the water. If only I could get some 24" wheels for my trailer, the dock kids would consider me "legit"!

Spinzone, one suggestion, when buying heat shrink for marine applications, try to get the kind that has adhesive in it. When it shrinks the adhesive melts and oozes into air spaces and should provide a water-tite seal. Steve

ML,

Thanks for the compliment! Or so I hope.

Lakebum,

I'm not sure if that is what I got or not. It was like molten plastic when hit with the heatgun. I bought it from a local marine performance shop. Called "Phoenix" and comes in red 8" strips.

Back