Best fenders?

BusyKYmom

Reaction score
What are the best fenders to get for your pontoon and the best way to attach them?

I went with the standard 6.5 x 23 fenders with the eyes at each end, and have an inflation valve (like a football or basketball). I wouldn't recommend fenders any smaller. 3 for each side of the boat that you plan to tie off on seems to be the minimum. 2 works, but if you lose one, or one works its way up and rolls up on the dock, you don't have a backup. So, 3.

Straps or ropes are cheap and allow the most placement options. I have a pair of straps that came with two fenders, but they seem too cheesy and I'd hate for one to break, which would no doubt happen when I wasn't there, and not only would the fender float away, but my boat might get dinged up since the fender would be gone. So, I use rope, not straps. If I found a strap that seemed tough enough, I wouldn't be opposed to using it. Straps are very easy to adjust, which is one thing they have going for them.

I won't even begin to get into how to attach the rope end to the boat though. There are TONS of posts and pics here on different ways to do that. You will find lots of good ideas and options here in the forum if you look/search. You'll have to decide which is best for you.

One complication is a lot of rails have seat backs right up against them. That's where you need to be creative. Straps slip between tight spaces too...

It depends on what you are tying up to. Against a dock the big round bumpers work. For rafting tieup,spend the money and buy Overton's bumpers. They are $85 a piece but they protect the toon from the waterline up. When boats are rocking against each other you need lots of protection for your side railings. They shorten up for storage.

I bought these and like them.

My link

I bought these and like them.

My link
How did you connect them? We do have the seats that come up to the railings.

I will do some searching if there's already been a lot of posts about this.

How did you connect them? We do have the seats that come up to the railings.

I will do some searching if there's already been a lot of posts about this.
This is what I used to connect the strap that comes with the bumper to the top rail.

My link

Back