Best lakes for a family vacation in the U.S.

Yup, #3

Mine is Numero Uno!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have gone to #2 Lake George all our lives [as day trips or sometimes overnight in hotels or campgrounds] and it is beautiful.  Unfortunately with beauty comes demand and it has the reached the point that only the very wealthy can afford lakeside 1.3  million is a starting point.  Now that we are on Sacandaga we love it for its size and the many bars & restaurants that we can boat to.  As Lake George has become more restrictive with speed limits and heavy police patrol and they have recently begun inspections [with a fee for the inspection] on all boats entering the water is starting to drive those towing to our lake and it is getting more crowded on the weekends but can'tt blame them, everyone wants to be on the water

I'll agree with some of the lakes on that list.  To me, a vacation on the lake needs to be (1) accessible to the general population, (2) have affordable accommodations and (3) have beautiful water and surroundings.  Not all of these lakes fill that bill.  Before I'd freeze my tail off in Lake Michigan, my young butt would be in Florida on the Gulf or Atlantic.

They missed places like Norris Lake, just north of Knoxville, TN.  With condos, floating houses, hotels and 18 marinas, it's hard to beat this incredible place.  It's within a day's drive of half the U.S. population, and it's a lake of incredible beauty.  Douglas Lake and many other lakes are also close by, and there's more to do in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg than you can imagine.  We were in the Smokey Mountains earlier this week--incredibly beautiful scenery.

If you're wanting away from it all, Dale Hollow is another hard to beat lake--with its 25' water visibility.  Bull Shoals, Norfolk Lake and Table Rock on the AR/MO border are also incredible, clean hill/mountain lakes.  And Heber Springs/Greers Ferry Lake is another lake easily accessible in AR.

There are many other great vacations in the southeast, where every state has great state parks on lakes.  Virtually every large city in the southeast has a fine lake or river within 1/2 hour's drive--except for Memphis.

We have no shortage of recreational lakes in the U.S.--and don't have to go far for reasonably priced vacations. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My inlaws have a place accross from #1 on a 6000 acre inland lake (Glen Lake) in Glen arbor. Water is beautiful there.

SAM_2601_zps5f4e97d1.jpg

SAM_2593_zpse685e8c2.jpg

I took this one which is the Lake Michigan shoreline right accross from the cabin and over the sand dunes.

SAM_2620_zpsd2c4d06c.jpg

Nice pics Andy! The water is nice and blue there!

I've been to that overlook before!  A number of years ago we drove around Lake Michigan and stayed at different spots along the way.  Visited relatives in Petoski and Milwaukee.  Fun trip.

I drove past Guntersville Lake on the way to the North Georgia Mountains today.

Damn, that place is beautiful.  And it's just about the mecca for bass fishermen.  Fishermen drive all the way from Canada and from all over the southeast to fish here.

And there are a number of resorts, hotels with docks and a wonderful state park on the lake.

Is my lake on the list? Um... That would be a negative Ghost Rider. LoL

Back