Best way to drain gas tank

kaydano

Reaction score
Can the fuel gauge sender cap be removed easily?  Is the seal reusable?

If you can get to it then yes and yes.

Is your tank under the lounger or pod mounted ?

Sorry, pod mounted.  There is an access hole in the floor on the back deck, but I have not removed this before.  I was told by my dealer that was how you get into the tank if you need to (to fix the fuel gauge sender for example). 

I want to drain my tank completely dry so I can put in all fresh gas this winter.  Also, I will be able to once and for all figure out how much gas really fits in the tank in total, and I can learn how much gas is in the tank at each 1/4 mark on the gauge.  I figured removing this hatch would be the easiest way to siphon out all the gas and also confirm that the tank is totally empty (vs running a hose down the filler tube).  I assume once I take it off the hole would be big enough to see into the tank.

I assumed there was a reusable rubber gasket on it, but thought I'd check here first.  Has anyone opened theirs up before?  If so, anything I should be aware of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have not done it, but one word of advice ...... No cordless tools ...... They spark and if you have any fumes .... Well you know what happens. Like I said in other thread, I'm lucky as mines in sun deck room.

Should be straightforward though, but bear in mind, your gauge still may not be that accurate, especially if it happens to stick, even a new one ..... :-(

How much is in there? Maybe just drive in circles near the boat launch till it dies!

How much is in there? Maybe just drive in circles near the boat launch till it dies!

Just give me a call when you do, I'll tow ya back in... on second thought, never-mind! The last time I was involved in a tow, things did not pan out too well!!!!

Ha ha.  Thanks for the offer.  It should be easy enough to siphon it out though.

It may be easier to disconnect the fuel hose from the engine and syphon it from that hose.

Steve

It may be easier to disconnect the fuel hose from the engine and syphon it from that hose.

Steve
Duh.  I hadn't thought about disconnecting the fuel hose.  That will be much simpler.  I just went out and looked at the fuel line, and I found a broken hose clamp.  So, double thanks for mentioning this!

Good you found the broken clamp. I understand, sometimes it's the forest and the trees thing.

Steve

Back