Big Bernie

Big Bernie

Reaction score
My new 22SSRX will be delivered next Tuesday- Lake Arrowhead, CA. Question/advice: Is it customary when the dealer delivers the boat to have a so called Sea Trial? Our lake is at elevation of 5100 ft. Any advice on the best prop for performance at higher altitude?  Anyone's comments on similar boat as the 22SSRX Tritoon with Merc 150 hp SPS loaded ?  Bought it new at LA Boat show.  By the way I have spent last 3 nights enjoying and educating myself with this website - What a great group of people and a treasure trove of information!!!

Congrats on the new Benny Bernie! I'm sure someone will chime in about the sea trial. Bought my Benny used so that's a great question......Make sure you post pics!

Looking forward to hearing the report of your experience!

When we picked up our new boat 2 years ago we did get a "sea trial" out on the lake. Monica (the sales person) took us out and showed us all the controls and gave us a quick rundown of their functions.  She pulled the new boat away from the docks while explaining everything on the ride out of the no wake zone.  Once out in the open water I got to drive for a little while just to make sure I was happy with the boat and then brought it back in.  Monica asked me if I would rather have her dock it and I said why I have to put it away in our dock and it's A LOT tighter than your docks at the marina.  

I figured if it was going to get her first beauty mark I might as well do it myself.....came in pretty easy actually.

I would also pay attention to the boat prior to the sea trial.  Walk around it inside and out and take a good look underneath looking for any defects or problems.  My dealer took me out for about an hour although much of it ended up being a pleasure cruise.  Have them start at the controls but make sure you do everything as well right from starting the boat up in the water.

Best of luck and enjoy

My dealer (awesome by the way) had a pre-delivery checklist and on water orientation checklist. Even though we came from a smaller pontoon, they still verified we were comfortable with everything and everything was in working condition. 

I picked up our 22ssrx Easter weekend, did sea trials with rep., she's been in the barn ever since.  Til tomorrow, thank God.  I found some wiring to the starboard bow light that had come out of its loom and would have chafed against the metal corner shorting out.  Just keep looking, things pop up.

I went out with the dealer on the first one, second boat....put it in the water and we're outta here!!!!

The sea trial is important because if anything is wrong the dealer will see it for himself right with you.  It's also your chance to pick the brain of someone experienced (hopefully so).  Open and close EVERYTHING, run through all the systems, etc.  Great piece of mind to know everything is ship-shape.

If it opens and closes, lights up or turns on and off, goes up or down, or goes left or right, test it ...  ;)

This is a helpful topic!  I am a little concerned as my dealer will be delivering the boat to me and we are about 2 hours from their shop.  If adjustments are required to motor height, etc it will be a pain going back and forth.  Having delivered because I don't really need a trailer as we keep our boat in water entire season.  May consider driving over to them the 2 hours for the water test and have them follow me back to put it in the water at our house.  Hmmmm.

Jando, I did exactly that I left Jando.  There is not a Bennington dealer on my lake so I bought my boat at one an hour away. I ended up leaving it on his dock for a week while I broke it in.  No problems came up but I had him do the 20 hour service and then trailered it to our lake

My boat generally goes on trailer to come out in the fall, travels 1 mile to indoor storage for winter and then back again in the spring however I am glad that I bought the trailer just in case anything happens.  I doubt if you ever will be able to purchase a trailer for any less money than at the time you bought the boat.  I also upgraded my trailer to tandem & surge brakes.  

Back