Bimini lights

You can't see them outside of the boat so I would say sure.

we have them in our boat and the local boat patrol thought they looked good? No ticket! They just put off a blue hue under the bimini, but they will mess with your eyes if your actually trying to look out the front of the boat.

Last time I was pulled over for a safety check  after dark I asked the officer (Texas game warden) about my blue lights.  He said technically they are illegal as the only lights are supposed to be the red/green and white in the back.  However, he said that they know all the new boats have these and that so long as you are docked or anchored, he did not think any officer would have an issue.  Driving with them on is another issue.  Depends on the officer.

Very much depends on the officer. 

If it were true that vessels can operate only with red/green bow nav lights, and anchor/white running lights in the rear, cruise ships would have a hell-uv-a-time with the police.

It's not a rule of navigation that ONLY those lights be displayed. It is only a rule of nighttime navigation that they ARE displayed.

It is a rule that the required nav lights be visible from specific distances. And there are rules to the distance between the white stern or all-around light, and the fore red/green nav lights.

That I've seen (and I read this kind of stuff for fun because I'm just that uninteresting), there are no COLREGS or other inland marine federal regulations excluding vessels from displaying solid blue lighting as special-purpose lighting. Flashing blue is reserved for law enforcement...and even they have regulations on how they display their flashing blue.

This is important because your special-purpose lighting cannot interfere with the visibility of your nav lights.

With that said, officers can write tickets for anything they want, and you're recourse is to take it to court. A judge then decides. A ticket isn't a final word anywhere for anything. It's just a piece of paper saying that in the officer's opinion, using his/her best judgement, you were in violation of a law or regulation. 

My Blue LED's under the deck wrap all the way around the front (I also have the Bimini), I was stopped because they could not see my red/green lights. they said I could turn the LED's back on when anchored. I'm going to take some black paint & black out the front corner back to the end of the wave shield & see how that does. I think the wave shield bounces the light back up to much washing out the navigation lights.

I have been out with bimini, side and underwater on never had any problems with the law that does show up at the bigger fireworks shows.  Also noticed starting to see them on many more manufacturers of pontoon boats and now seeing some of the Yamahas jet boats as well

Back