Boat at dealership

mtudb24

Reaction score
Well, had taken the boat back the dealer last weekend for them to fix the broken waveshield and fix the bubble inthe teak deck. Sent them pictures 2 months ago so they knew what to expect. Got a call today from them. We think it's in your best interest to bring back to us in the fall because we don't know how long it's gonna take to fix. It might be 8+ weeks depending on parts.

My beef is that it's a 4 hour trip to the dealer. I also told them that if I do take it back and use it, any further damage that may result of use, will not be my responsibility. I want that in writing before I leave. I didn't suggest to take it back. It was their suggestion. Is that being unreasonable?

Todd

I would not say that is being unreasonable .Which dealer did you use being 4 hours away ?

Spicers in houghton lake. It's where I bought the boat from. Got the basic run around from 2 other closer dealers, we're booked with our own customer care. I won't name them, as I'm sure their good with the customers who bought from them. I got a good deal on my boat and they gave me the best price on my trade in of any of the dealers I looked at

Todd

Spicers is about 90 miles from me . I almost went there to look at what they had in stock .

I ended up ordering from Burt Lake Marina in Indian River .

Great People .

http://www.burtlakemarina.com/

So today I told the dealer to fix the boat no matter if it takes 4,6,or 8 weeks. I'm a football coach for my son's flag football team and we have spring session from last week to June 23 every Sunday. As long as they are done by July 1st, I am Ok with it. That's 9 weeks away. It cost me $160 bucks in fuel to tow the boat to the dealer along with borrowing a buddies truck to do so. It would cost me another $160 to tow home and another $160 to bring it back in the fall. My biggest concern is that I duck hunt until end of November, that means towing in questionable weather, waiting possibly 8 weeks to get it fixed and towing it back home in the middle of winter 4 hours and borrowing a buddies truck again and then getting it back into indoor storage.

So we'll see what happens.

They also want to charge $1700 for installing all new smartcraft gauges. I'm still thinking that's way too high, so I'll probably pass on that and install them myself.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome

Todd

So today I told the dealer to fix the boat no matter if it takes 4,6,or 8 weeks. I'm a football coach for my son's flag football team and we have spring session from last week to June 23 every Sunday. As long as they are done by July 1st, I am Ok with it. That's 9 weeks away. It cost me $160 bucks in fuel to tow the boat to the dealer along with borrowing a buddies truck to do so. It would cost me another $160 to tow home and another $160 to bring it back in the fall. My biggest concern is that I duck hunt until end of November, that means towing in questionable weather, waiting possibly 8 weeks to get it fixed and towing it back home in the middle of winter 4 hours and borrowing a buddies truck again and then getting it back into indoor storage.

So we'll see what happens.

They also want to charge $1700 for installing all new smartcraft gauges. I'm still thinking that's way too high, so I'll probably pass on that and install them myself.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome

Todd
any updates.. thanks

Fatee2k

Funny you ask. I've been asking for 3 weeks and have been getting nowhere. One excuse after another on why they haven't figured it out yet. Told them last Friday they now are down to 5 weeks before July 1st and no more excuses.

Heard you may have the same bubbling in teak flooring as I do?

Todd

Todd,

You are fair to stand firm with dealer after 3 weeks and nothing. I would give them one more week, then contact Bennington customer service, and get their input, or even contact them now. 5 weeks is not that long, as it's the busy time of season and they have to strip boat, "probably" replace plywood decking (glue may not adhere to existing deck with glue) apply vinyl, reinstall all furniture, helm, rigging, all while running their "Regular" business. I don't think I'd be waiting .... just my 2 cents.

Heck, I thought I was upset as my horn stopped working ...... I'd be fit to be tied if I were in your shoes after 3 weeks ......

They should at least get the wave shield fixed at this point, since that could cause more damage.

If you can live with the flooring issue till fall, that would give them time in the off season to get that done.

The problem I have is its 180 miles 1 way to dealer. Since I wouldn't be able to get the boat back to them til early December, I have no interest in pulling the boat out of her indoor storage and trailering that far in northern michigan weather and then having to pick it back up in Jan or Feb since they won't store it indoors. That's why I brought it to them in April when No boats were being dewinterized because the weather in Michigan was bad. If they had started it when I brought it to them, we wouldn't be in this position.

Friday will my drop dead dead date to have a answer. After that, I'm going up the chain of command.

Todd

I'd raise hell. It should have been done by now. I can't stand slow service. It drives me crazy!!!

Yeah, slows even one thing, but nothing being done is just unacceptable.

Well, got pictures sent to me today from the dealer, I'll post them up later tonight. Their prognosis, some how the 2 sheets of plywood popped up at the seam and we're resting on their broken fasteners and caused the faux taking to bubble up. They have contacted bennington and I was told bennington will be ordering the parts. Not sure how long it will take the big B to get the parts to my dealer. 2 sheets of plywood. 1 sheet that sets under the rear loungers and the 2nd piece that goes aft of that and is part of the motor well and transom area. Nee faux teak overlay and 2 pieces of the under deck waveshield. 1 port and 1 starboard that sets on either side of the motor pod. Pics to follow.

Thanks for all the comments and support

Todd

Ok guys, Im not smart enough to post pics to the thread but the are in my gallery now. The initial thought of my dealer was I hit something in the water that bent the waveshield up and would have cuased the seam bewteen the last 2 sheets of plywood decking to buckle and cause the issue of the faux teak decking to bubble. However after further review, there is not 1 scratch on the motor pod or the tubes that would indicate a strike with any object.The diagnois was that somehow the waveshield rivets and welds popped loose and caused the 2 pieces of plywood to buckle and come back to rest on TOP of the fasteners that hold it down which made the faux teak deck to bubble. My dealer contact Bennington Today and they agree with my dealers assesement and have put a order if for 2 pieces of plywood decking, a new rubber faux teaking rear deck and a starboard and port side piece of waveshield right at the motor pod to be replaced. Its now up to Bennington to provde the parts to the dealer so I can have my boat back in 4 weeks prior which puts me at 1st of july which is my families only vacation of the summer.

il keep you guys posted. I would still like to understand the CAUSE of how the seam of the 2 pieces of plywood decking got jacked so hard that they popped

Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad they were able to get it covered but it would be nice to know the cause for sure. Hopefully they get it repaired in time for your vacation. I've been waiting over 3 weeks just for a seat...

Glad they were able to get it covered but it would be nice to know the cause for sure. Hopefully they get it repaired in time for your vacation. I've been waiting over 3 weeks just for a seat...
Yeah every year it's the same thing: All the marinas are backed up for weeks. I just don't understand that.

Typically (to my knowledge) they ship large parts with another boat order coming in that they can piggyback it with.

Typically (to my knowledge) they ship large parts with another boat order coming in that they can piggyback it with.
I thought so too, until my dealer got his next shipment of boats and my seat wasn't on one of them!!! Oh well, at least I can still use the boat. Don't want to slow down the line or cause a delay for anyone who is about to burst waiting for their new boat!

They probably have to "make" your seat, which probably goes into the "schedule" then ship with next load. It probably was not ready when that load shipped out.

(Or is it a regular helm seat?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Regular helm seat. I thought they would have just pulled one off an in stock boat but now luck. At least I can use the boat still

Back