Boat Cover Snaps - Worst Tuesday of My Life

Noah Genda

Reaction score
Marina where I stored my boat (2575RCW) changed hands. New owner wanted to more than double my price to deliver my boat. So I thought I'd take things into my own hands. Bought a nice trailer, picked it up, and things looked promising. I drove to my boat's location. Lots of wind, but we got it loaded. The new group was less than helpful to say the least. But before we took off, I asked one of the hands if I should cover it when I headed south to Lake Monroe. I should have consulted this esteemed group, but I didn't and listened to him. "You have to keep the tent poles taut!"

So i did. Bottom line, one of the tent poles launched through the cover. We immediately pulled over on the interstate. Love having big rigs zooming by 4 inches from my backside. We got the pole, but it was destroyed. I decided to take the cover off the boat and stuff it under the starboard/stern chaise lounge chair. Knew I had to buy a new pole, but no big deal.

My wife sees something flapping in the back. I take the next exit only to find my cover gone and a seat cushion missing. And that was just the beginning of the fun. I'll spare you the rest.

New cover almost ordered. It's about 1400 +/- BUT WITHOUT SNAPS! Anybody out there been through this process? Do I haul my boat to the dealer or look for a local upholstery company? Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the party Tom $ Sally. Sorry to hear about your misadventure. I hate sucky dealers in any business that aren't willing to help a customer. When I got my new cover from Bennington, the dealer installed the snaps. It's a special tool that is used to crimp them. It was all a custom fit to match the cover with the snaps on the boat. It can be done if you have the tool and the snaps. Mine was under warranty so it was free. How much is the dealer going to charge you to do it? If you feel confident, it might be cheaper to just buy the tool but don't try it on a windy day. B) BTW, how bad was the cover and seat cushion? Is it not repairable? There was another thread about a flying seat cushion a while back. You're not alone.

Call another Bennington dealer to see what they'll sell the cover for. $1400 sounds too much. An awning shop may can custom make one cheaper for your boat.

When the factory installs a mooring cover, they have to install the snaps on the fencing to match the snap locations on the cover. When a new cover is put on the boat, they have to install the snaps on the cover where the snaps on the fencing is located--in reverse. If you're not up to the job, find a good auto/boat upholstery shop to finish the job.

The covers are mooring covers, not trailering covers. Pontoons are so un-aerodynamic that putting a cover on them while trailering will always cause problems. Bass boats can sometimes get away with covers that are properly tied down because they're very aerodynamic.

Yours is not the first time I've heard about a rear seat (without hinges) flying out of a pontoon. Anyone that trailers their boat really needs to remove the seat cushion, tie it down or put something heavy on the seat to where it won't fly in a gust of wind.

Price sounds right for a BENNINGTON cover.

Buy the tool, you can use it to put snaps on everything. Maybe even beads on your clothing ..... :D

Loose seat is probably one of the only things I did not like. Should have been a "corner" cushion, and hinged seat.

Good luck on cover, watch www.Greatlakesskipper.com

Sometimes he has some covers

Since you are close to Ohio, you should consider a custom made trailering/mooring cover. I had one made for our 22' toon that cost less than the purchase price of your replacement cover and it included a cover for the engine. We tow to Canada yearly and the cover keeps the boat dry and makes the boat tow easier. The shop (Sailor Tailor) is in SW Ohio and has been in business for years. It also keeps the boat dry when stored at the dock. We had 8" of wet snow on it this winter and it handled it. FYI, they make the best bean bag chairs. Ours are 25 years old and look great. The kids used them all the time and one bag is in Chicago now.

Welcome to the party Tom $ Sally. Sorry to hear about your misadventure. I hate sucky dealers in any business that aren't willing to help a customer. When I got my new cover from Bennington, the dealer installed the snaps. It's a special tool that is used to crimp them. It was all a custom fit to match the cover with the snaps on the boat. It can be done if you have the tool and the snaps. Mine was under warranty so it was free. How much is the dealer going to charge you to do it? If you feel confident, it might be cheaper to just buy the tool but don't try it on a windy day. B) BTW, how bad was the cover and seat cushion? Is it not repairable? There was another thread about a flying seat cushion a while back. You're not alone.
Retraced my steps on the interstate and never found either. Can't imagine a 30x16 (or whatever the dimensions are) piece of cloth hiding anywhere. I was petrified I might go back and see a horrible accident. Fortunately, I didn't.

It might be cheaper to get tool and do it myself, but that's what got me in trouble in the first place. Actually, I suppose a little bit of research would have eliminated my trouble to begin with. Ah, life's lessons. The most important thing was nobody got hurt. For that I am thankful.

Perfect! Thanks for the resource. Just ordered. Saved me I bet over $500 when tax and shipping were added! Thanks again.
Glad to be able to help .... That's what we are here for !!!!! Good luck.

Retraced my steps on the interstate and never found either. Can't imagine a 30x16 (or whatever the dimensions are) piece of cloth hiding anywhere. I was petrified I might go back and see a horrible accident. Fortunately, I didn't.

It might be cheaper to get tool and do it myself, but that's what got me in trouble in the first place. Actually, I suppose a little bit of research would have eliminated my trouble to begin with. Ah, life's lessons. The most important thing was nobody got hurt. For that I am thankful.
Noah - Thanks for posting your problem. You may have saved dozens of others from doing the same thing just by posting your story. That's what the forum is all about, and you are hereby "knighted" into the forum! You might watch Craigslist listings in your area for a boat cover. It might be yours.

I tow my boat home from the marina a couple times a year to clean it (15 miles on the Interstate). I've towed it with my cover on (I have so much crap in the boat), but I go no more than 60 mph. I have not had a problem. Yet. You have me rethinking that...

But again, I have so much stuff in the boat. I'm not sure it would all fit in the truck at one time. But, I will definitely keep my speed down.

That said, assuming I continue to tow with the cover on, do you guys think it would be better to pull the poles completely? Seems it would flap the snaps right off... From Noah's post, you don't want it super tight, but removing the poles is probably going too far the other way...

1st off - Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your cover and cushion. I lost a large custom-made cushion 2 seasons ago while towing to NY/NJ. It cost several hundred dollars to have it remade.

I would not recommend towing with a mooring cover. Only use a good quality towing cover.

I would not tow without some type of support under the cover. The poles provide tension to keep the cover taut and therefore, provide better fuel efficiency for the tow vehicle. A loosely covered boat would catch all sorts air and flapping with the "near hurricane" force winds encountered at highway speeds. The flapping cover may pull at the snaps, but worse would be the abrasion given to the boat's interior. I would recommend that you use cushioned ends for your poles.

Do not trust bungee cords to hold stuff in place while towing. If enough air gets under the object(s), the cord may stretch enough to still loose the item.

Good Luck

Ok, I'll ask again. I am going to be towing my Bennnie 600 miles, twice a year. If not the playpen cover, what should I get? Does Bennie make towing covers?

Ok, I'll ask again. I am going to be towing my Bennnie 600 miles, twice a year. If not the playpen cover, what should I get? Does Bennie make towing covers?
I don't think so, but also check out FEEBAY, lots of them on there. JUST DON'T go cheap to be cheap, also might check WestMarine or Overtons ...............

Padre, do you mean dealer said using the mooring cover was okay? Or don't use a cover at all?

Back