Boat Navigation Lighting - for night visability

Thanks Tom. I was referencing law here as well. We are on a small inland lake so no need to drop the hammer after dark. I guess being in corporate risk management has a trickle down effect at the personal level. 

We're on a big lake and no speed limit after dark. There are also know Piers or houses directly on the water so know light. You really have to no where your going lots of trees in water along shore lines and shallow spots. After our fire works, it would take us an hour and a half to get home at idle speed. It's amazing how fast the boats take off and several hundred in all directions. I tend to stay around 25 MPH.  On most nights very little traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a clear night, I tend to go just fast enough to make a solid wake. I'm out at night for a reason; to relax and enjoy the boating, not to race home to end it. I'm not going to go idle speed, but not going WOT, either. 

Idle/no wake after dusk is the law here.

One of those occasions where all those extraneous docking and side lights are a distraction is right after our fireworks. Dozens of boats gather near an island where they shoot them off. At the end of the show, everyone turns and heads home, so it's a bit of chaos. The clear signs of red and green nav lights makes it much easier to see if they're oncoming and exactly which direction they're headed. Running with docking lights is a peave of mine, and they do at least warn them here.

Yes, in that instance I can see the confusion.  I think some people run with docking lights because they do not know better.  I am so glad we do not have that no wake law after dusk.  I cannot imagine going from one end of the lake to the other (17 miles) at those speeds.

Hmm, not sure if where you boat is different, but why go idle speeds when most clear nights you can see perfectly?  I have never heard that  one before.

It's also the law on my lake.  10 MPH max or they will pull you over immediately.  I agree most night you can see but that's the way it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also the law on my lake.  10 MPH max or they will pull you over immediately.  I agree most night you can see but that's the way it is.

I'm so glad that I have no speed limits at night. I'd never get home after picking up the kids at closing time. But I do like running at night! That's for sure.

Out at night to enjoy the beauty of the sky, don't want to go faster than 10

So, how about the bugs? Is that something that just happens right after sunset and then settles down? At least up here in MI, the bugs seem to come out and with no windshield, it is not as enjoyable. 

So, how about the bugs? Is that something that just happens right after sunset and then settles down? At least up here in MI, the bugs seem to come out and with no windshield, it is not as enjoyable. 

Bounce off of you like popcorn popping.

Same here. They think the blue leds on the cupholders and speakers are very attractive. I've cleaned up messes the next day around each one so it's not so pleasant for me.

Back