Boat Ramp Etiquette

Calamus

Reaction score
I have to agree with most of this but one thing that grinds my gears is when Im at the lake with my kids unload the boat and as Im pulling up putting the pickup in the parking lot with my kids holding the boat some people is such a rush will back down and unload. while my 6 and 8 year old are holding the boat. One guy a few years ago actually hit my boat backing his in. Didnt even say he was sorry or nothing got an oops doesnt look like anything got broken. It just is amazing to me how some people can be so stupid and afford boats that cost 10-50 thousand dollars funny the one with boat under 10G are usually the nice ones and know what they are doing.How about you guys any pet peeves about boat ramp etiquette? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJv8zWpRbdY

My opinion, when unloaded, boat should be moved to dock or elsewhere. Ramp is to unload, and load ..... Sorry just my 2 cents.

(This is if there's a waiting/courtesy dock, if only a ramp dock, then you have no choice and I would understand)

People probably get as upset with you tying up the ramp unload area as you do them backing in.....

My real pet peeves are waiting in line and newbies passing the line and trying to back in ..... Typically they only TRY this once ......

Or loading/unloading their junk while on the ramp ........ this is to be done in the areas that typically HAVE SIGNS !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with you if there is a dock area our lakes here in Nebraska they only put out 2 dock sections on the boat ramp on the lake I go to and put rubble along the beach for 50yards by the boat ramps that is at the calamus in central Nebraska when we are at branched oak they do have the docks off to the side and yes the boat would be moved either way then my truck is sitting there when one adult is with 2 little kids. I would bet I can put my Nitro in by my self park my truck and get back to my boat faster than most can even back their boat in.  Check out google earth if you have it I dont know why they do the docks the way they do but they even put concrete (poured) around Points where there is access from the road I guess so boat dont clog it up for people who want to bank fish. its northwest of Burwell Nebraska check it out

Couple ramp etiquette peeves..............I'm w/Semper on the loading/unloading on the ramp. Have all your stuff in the boat BEFORE you launch your boat. (Even before you approach the ramp) and put your boat back on the trailer and move to another location. Then take your stuff out. Which brings me to my other pet peeve................We have 5 excellent ramps at our marina all w/floating docks. When boaters take their boats out they park at the top of the ramps and start to take their stuff out and towel off their boats and put their covers on. This makes it hard for people who have long vehicles and trailers from pulling all the way up to the top of the ramp utilizing the whole area to line their trailers up to back down the ramp. The bad thing is there are signs telling people to not park there but some people are apparently blind and don't see them................Bugs the crap out of me............Okay one more pet peeve..........How about the boaters who launch their boat and just sit there tying up the ramp..........We've asked people if they needed any help and have gotten various answers.............Family member went to blow up the tube. Family member went to the bathroom. Buying cigarettes. Battery is dead. Can't find the boat keys. All things that should have been checked/done BEFORE launching .................. 

This is the boat ramp at our lake this was 2 years ago when they dropped the lake really low for dam repairs. lots of sand here then but when full you can see how they make it hard to park your boat anywhere. The lake association which we are members is putting in a few extra docks but the red tape is crazy to put a courtesy dock in?? The funny thing is all week long everyone is very friendly it on weekends that it gets crazy here. I too hate it when I pull over before getting to the ramp take off the transoms tie down and put plug in then you are ready and someone passes you gets in line then stops and gets his/her boat ready blocking the ramp with 5 ramps I can guess that can be a mess we only have 2 but a single lane access road with cables so you are stuck waiting if you get passed 

My pet peeve is people either not practicing how to back up a trailer or just don't have the skills to. I always seem to get behind this guy at every ramp.

Now we have a place on the lake and our boat stays on the dock but in 2009 when we bought our first boat I trailered it and I did practice backing into my driveway and then pulling out and backing into my neighbor across the streets driveway so I could turn to the left or to the right backing up.  I did get better from practicing but I have to admit I was that guy :blink:  it is not an easy skill to do unless you do it a lot. 

Must admit when we bought our first boat years ago I went to the local super market parking lot to practice w/the trailer.............this old man apparently was watching me struggle came up to the van and tapped on the glass and gave me the best advice................he told me to put my hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and whichever way you want the trailer to go...... move the wheel in that direction............BAM!!!!!!! Couldn't have been easier than that! Why didn't anybody else tell me that? From that moment on it was a piece of cake! So...........when I see people at the ramp struggling and pulling the trailer up and down the ramp crooked...........I give them the same advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest gripe would be people that sneer and talk under thier breath when obviously in-experienced people are having

problems rather than helping out. I know it's funny when someone tries to launch a dry boat but what's wrong with saying

"you might want to back the trailer up a little more"? or "would you like a hand backing that trailer?" ( though she's getting better at it, my wife will accept that everytime!)

Boaters that prep thier boats on the ramp are annoying but in most cases I don't think they mean to be. That's usually resolved by the "look"! (c'mon we've all done it:)

My only boat launch screw up (so far) was to overlook the drain-plug. It would have been mutually beneficial for everyone waiting at the ramp (took me 15 mins to

rectify the situation) if the two laughing/snickering guys on the dock told me about it, instead of waiting to see my reaction when I got back to the boat.

OK on the peeve end, are boaters that haven't had the boat out in months but discover the batteries are dead won't start ect. and decide to deal with it at the dock!

My brother and I are ranch kids so we learned to back up with a tractor at an early age! lucky us tandem is even more fun.When my wife and I got married I would take her out during the week and we practiced putting the boat in so she could have as many tries as needed. I will say she loves the pontoon the longer trailer makes is to much easier for her and the fact that you can see it behind the truck help also. My brother and I used to fish alot and we would make bets at the ramp if the people would be pull-uppers most of the time they were we give each other a hard time if you have to take more than one shot at lining up on the boat ramp. The best is when you see a caddy pulling a big crownline 30' and it had intransits and its the first time out fun to watch! I always offer help if needed the grab the bottom of the steering wheel it great advice learned that in the 70s

I agree the "grab the bottom of the wheel" trailer trick is great. Unfourtunatly my wife has more of a "yacht" mentality!

Calamus, same here, learned to back trailers with small tractors on the farm at probably 10 years old. I used to make believe I was driving a big rig. Then I advanced to a Honda 70 motorcycle and I thought I was a CHIPS motorcycle cop......... Oh to be young again !!!!

Was it a ct70 semp? I started on one of those.

This is a very similar one to the one I learned on ours was yellow My grandparents had a cabin on a trout stream and the road went all the way around the park several families had these down there so it was always a good time the old timers would always go to the dance hall on fri and sat nights.        

The neighbors had a dark red one us kids would zip around on. It was a blast. I remember when my uncle had a few too many, took off on it thinking there was a clutch, lets just say when he grabbed the "clutch" (front brake lever) he quickly found him self on the ground and missing a finger nail. Good times!

Was it a ct70 semp? I started on one of those.
Yup that's the one, mine had a clutch though. Didn't even realize till recently they had an auto version. My buddy just bought one for $800 and sold it on Feebay for $1200. Quick $350 after fees. He has a blue one I'm debating on buying. Just trying to figure out how to hide it so wife doesn't kick my a** ..... Lol !!!

After your recent praise of her I think your good. 1000 brownie points for sharing how great she is minus 200 for buying the CT70. Looks like your still up for the month!!

Down here In southwest Louisiana we get a few goffies that will do silly things like cut in line or unload kids boat at ramp, heck one time a guy came backed up after not realizing I was waiting to back up to load started unloading kids wife and fussy kids, I guess I am too nice I just kept waiting well a deputy came to unload his patrol boat started shooting the bull with him and he said he sees it all the time he'll just politely mention etiquette tells them it's saved him some work (LOL). Down in some parts where the fishing is hot and heavy they have lines 1/4 mile long and the deputies have to have someone there to stop fights, but the commercial fisherman will just drive up backing and don't care if u say anything they have addittude if I make money out here I deserve it and if u park in "their spots they will slash Ur tires cut u wires even undo u trailer bearings. Now I don't go over there it is mainly on just a few bayous and cuts in south east Louisiana. I leave early just to avoid lines (gives me time to go fishing while I wait on wife and friends) but if If someone is waiting I tell them after I get boat off if u want move my truck won't hurt my feelings at all. For the most part where we go everyone is polite helpful and friendly just a few newbies r people using someone's boat. And if I have problems u will have to check life jackets and load limit on boat EVERYONE will be helping that person, and not to hurry them up just to be friendly (fights r just at a couple hot spots) I am sorry I don't know if I would wait in a line 1/4 and have been told when specks and reds running 1/2-3/4 long.

Ps I also learned to back up on farm,teaching my 14 year old now he's getting good and my wife she can back just as good as me I can leave boat club go to launch and she's in water waiting for me. Her only request is I drive back she cuts the corners with empty trailer she said it's ok it always comes out ditch (shaking my head) but I love her so much. Think we're going tubing Saturday after my ill girl cheer camp, water still good and HOT down here water temp other day fishing was 89 and temp outside yesterday was 93

We have one ramp with 6 lanes and it goes pretty smooth. It could also be that they park a Sheriff at the top. He won't help or get out his truck unless your being a Dumb A** or loud and drunk and that's ok with me. I have seen some people get mad at them , they can't get there boat out of the water , it is a very steap ramp and with the oil from the boats it gets pretty slick. The Shefiff trucks have winches on front. They would rather watch some smoke there tires than help I guess it's there from of entertainment. That's why my truck is a 4x4. All in all it's a good ramp

Back