Boat Security when Away

How many people live separately from where their boat is kept during boating season?

• Total voters
Mooring auger pole would work or I would use cinder blocks with chain (around blocks) and rope from chain to tie off (and you can untie and leave the blocks and chain in the water through the winter). We do this to hold a sculling rowboat and neighbor does the same for a sunfish. Im lazy and wouldn’t want to screw and unscrew the augers every year.

I would go as far out with this line as your dock length. (Doesn’t look like 36 feet would be long enough).

And tell the neighbor to move and lengthen his dock.

I’d probably go to where our boat is at. Our dock itself is 72’ long. Going out to the front of the boat when it is docked is approximately 40-45’ out.

Since the rental dock does not have a lift, should you be concerned that an inadequately tied off rental boat might come loose in a night storm, and bang into yours? In which case, since your boat has sealegs, can’t you park it on the other side of the dock? Or would that make getting into your boat more difficult?

It would be an issue because our dock forms an “L” with a deck platform at the end of it that goes in that opposite direction. For next year we could reverse the “L”, but it required re-positioning the bracket and support poles. That and door access is just more simple with it on the current side of the dock. I think it would be easier in future years to just move the dock itself to the other side of the property line than to do the above.

Back