Bow filler seat....other options

Indian_Lake_Bum

Reaction score
Came across this posting on the pontoon owners group I'm in on facebook.   They took an inflatable air mattress and used it to create a full bed between the seats instead of just the filler seat.  I kind of like the idea for ease of use and storage.   Get to the sandbar and pump it up (with built in pump a 2 minute job) to create a place to sun lounge or just relax.  Once done deflate and store away in a seat bottom or under the helm.  For our boat layout it could be used in the bow or the stern with the same results. The mattress they used was a double intex mattress with built in pump from cabellas (roughly 100 bux) but I'm sure you could find them elsewhere cheaper.

17342492_1606252369404038_6276363678523594318_n.jpg

Similar air mattress at Cabella's

I'm thinking of getting one of these air beds to try out this summer.  We have a few events that are put on during the summer (party at the beach - harborfest - parade of lights - now boat races) that you can attend via boat and it would make a nice addition.  We already have a bow filler seat that spends more time in the spare bedroom at the lakehouse than on the boat.  Sure it's nice to have when there are a group of people sitting around the table gabbing but for us it seems to be in the way more than it gets used.

The way that it molded itself to the seats makes it look like it was custom made.

That would be particularly nice if you were planning on doing some on-boat camping.

Was that a one size fits all kind of thing or were there many models to choose from? Interesting idea.

The way that it molded itself to the seats makes it look like it was custom made.

I was thinking the same thing Mark!

They've got the same ones on Amazon for $29-$39... Just ordered one. Got to check that out!

They've got the same ones on Amazon for $29-$39... Just ordered one. Got to check that out!

Don't be stingy with the details ..... what about a link?  ;)

Original poster on facebook  said it was a standard double height air mattress (rectangle shape) and when inflated it took the correct shape in the bow area (where the filler seat normally goes).  The mattress size was a double stack twin (height was between 18 -20" tall) with the built in pump.  Cheapest I've found one on amazon was between 45-60 bucks.

Coleman double height 18" tall

Intex 19" double twin

intex 20" double twin

I like the fact I can blow the thing up at the sandbar (like we do with our lounges) and when finished just give them a quick wipe down - deflate and store them away.

I'd say it would make a heck of a floaty too ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another reason why I enjoy this forum so much and another good way to spend money.

I'm guessing my Q has a seat base height if 19+ inches. I will measure it up and report back. I wonder if it's better to get a bit larger 20 inches and then under inflate it. Wondering if it's just a tad under inflated it would fit better. 

I know once this thing is inflated it's gonna be a PITA to open up my seats. Because they have to swing out and up. Another reason why under inflated might help us? 

And what are peoples thoughts on the internal pump. I take it that it uses 110 power.  I don't mind using a inverter, but if I have a choice I would have a 12v pump and not have to mess with the inverter. In fact it's a 110 I would rather just buy a mattress with out the internal pump and use my own pump. Just my 2c

But many thanks for posting a link 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ones I've looked at are 110v, but the outlet housing rotates so you can fill with another source if you have a 12v pump. 

Our 2575 QCW has a seat height of 17 inches @ the tallest part of the cushion. And 16 inches if you were to measure the (flat sitting portion)of the seat 

I agree with you mike. A while ago I also bought an air mattress from Nest Bedding Coupons.
And it is really good to get one as it is portable and easy to carry.
I also recommend you to get one too.

I'm guessing my Q has a seat base height if 19+ inches. I will measure it up and report back. I wonder if it's better to get a bit larger 20 inches and then under inflate it. Wondering if it's just a tad under inflated it would fit better.

I know once this thing is inflated it's gonna be a PITA to open up my seats. Because they have to swing out and up. Another reason why under inflated might help us?

And what are peoples thoughts on the internal pump. I take it that it uses 110 power. I don't mind using a inverter, but if I have a choice I would have a 12v pump and not have to mess with the inverter. In fact it's a 110 I would rather just buy a mattress with out the internal pump and use my own pump. Just my 2c

But many thanks for posting a link
i agree, the non pump version will be lighter and can fold down better. And i think we are all set up to inflate on our boats so why use the internal?, good call.

Came across this posting on the pontoon owners group I'm in on facebook. They took an inflatable air mattress and used it to create a full bed between the seats instead of just the filler seat. I kind of like the idea for ease of use and storage. Get to the sandbar and pump it up (with built in pump a 2 minute job) to create a place to sun lounge or just relax. Once done deflate and store away in a seat bottom or under the helm. For our boat layout it could be used in the bow or the stern with the same results. The mattress they used was a double intex mattress with built in pump from cabellas (roughly 100 bux) but I'm sure you could find them elsewhere cheaper.

17342492_1606252369404038_6276363678523594318_n.jpg

Similar air mattress at Cabella's

I'm thinking of getting one of these air beds to try out this summer. We have a few events that are put on during the summer (party at the beach - harborfest - parade of lights - now boat races) that you can attend via boat and it would make a nice addition. We already have a bow filler seat that spends more time in the spare bedroom at the lakehouse than on the boat. Sure it's nice to have when there are a group of people sitting around the table gabbing but for us it seems to be in the way more than it gets used.

Sounds like a good idea for your uses.
We have recently wedged one of our life vest between the filler seat when used on the port side. While underway it does keep the seat from coming over to join me at the helm. To me the bigger issue is the tilting. While funny watching the grandkids stumble over it is a serious safety issue for older folks trying to recover with a drink in hand.

Recently at the dealership I observed a bow filler seat which had caps on the bottom four corners and a lip on the
front of the seat made of the same grass flooring material. My 2019 S model premium bow seat bottom is all fiber glass and without this option. Maybe it's only available on the G series and up. It would help in sliding the bow filler seat to port side when filled up with an anchor or ice chest. Don't think it helps much with the tilting issue. I wonder over time how the grass flooring would hold up as it is slid over the floor.
FYI, we continue to use ours with family and grandkids but think its time that Bennington step up and do something about this issue. One size does not fit all and for the price more could and should be done to fix this safety issue.

Back