Bow or stern, where do you anchor?

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Okay, as the topic says, where do you anchor from? I know I usually anchor off the back since usually it is only when I am close to shore in shallow water and the waves will naturally push towards the shore. I would prefer my motor to be farther from the shore than my bow so it is slightly deeper water. My mechanic friend always says to NEVER anchor off the back which doesn't make sense to me. So I'm looking for input on why.

He did say that if the waves got up it could pull the ass end of the boat down and "submerge" the motor. To which I said if the weather was that bad i'd be getting the heck off the Lake! So is this a real issue on pontoons, or more a concern with a normal hull boat?

You are not alone Derrick, i too anchor off the stern. We have the extended deck, i keep my box anchor in the changing room in a plastic tote.

For me, it's alot easier to pull out the tote, set it on the deck, and toss anchor right there.

I have never had any problems with doing it that way.

More of a danger to normal hulls as it can swamp them. Highly unlikely a pontoon would sink, but a wave over the back would make a mess, possibly damage a fence. I normally anchor off the bow, but I can see your point about close to shore...

Bow here. Never wanted to try it in the rear.

I have done both but honestly I usually anchor off the bow.  I keep my large box anchor in its protective sleeve that came with it stored in my center tube storage area and then tie it off on either the port or starboard cleat....BUT.....as I have documented several times on this web site, I have had numerous issues with my boat pulling that anchor so maybe I'll start throwing it off the stern instead.  If I really don't want to move I'll throw the box anchor off the bow and a normal, smaller anchor off the stern so the boat doesn't move from left to right with the wind changes.  If I am in shallow waters (like sand bars) I throw the box anchor off the stern, close to the boat, and then I have that Slide Anchor (same company who makes the box anchor) Shore Spike that I secure to the bow once I have it set in the sand.  That thing is awesome and if I anchored much at all in shallow waters (I typically don't....didn't do it even one time last season) I would for sure by a 2nd one of those cuz they are the nuts for that application.

Bow only, usually only anchor up when we are using the toon as an off shore swim platform which with the extended deck we swim and congregate around the stern where the ladder is.

Small Box Anchor , Bow ,Baby Box Anchor, Stern, to stop the sway .

Last edited by a moderator:
Have only ever anchored off the Bow.  That was the recommendation from the boating safety class I took and the reasoning was -- you have extra weight already at the stern (your motor) so why pull it down further by throwing the anchor from the stern and bringing the stern down further.  Based on that advise, I have always anchored from the bow. 

Both.......just like Jack/Keith. It's to stop the pendulum effect........especially if there are other boats around. I store one anchor under the port front seat and the other anchor in the stern storage....

As a former Tin Can Sailor, always the bow. That allows you to adjust if needed using the motor without creating a problem with a stern anchor line. "Ole Sailors never die they just keep on Sailing"

Bow, ladder is in the stern kids climbing on and off and jumping in. I think the boat moves freeer (is that a word?) with the current when anchored from the bow, but it may be a perception. But I assume that's why they put the pointy things in the front.

Bow mostly with a good sized Danforth. Sets really well in the sand here on the east end of Lake Ontario. I do also carry a heavy mushroom anchor in a bucket under the stern lounge. It has 10' of line attached to it and it basically just to keep the stern in place or as a fast toss in about 4 feet of water for some swimming.

As AFisman said. Bow only. I have had to use the motor to help free a stuck anchor as well as other adjustments.

Cheers, Steve

Bow with a box anchor. If I'm just stopping for a swim, I usually beach it so I rarely bother with a secondary one in the stern. 

I anchor off the bow by way of my trolling motor (iPilot). Just hit the anchor button and the trolling motor handles the rest.

Both to keep toon from swinging if anchored in shallows. Two off stern to beach, if beached, to keep waves from pulling boat off the beach.

Usually do both. Facing into the current drop the bow anchor then pitch the stern anchor as far as I can. This holds the boat very steady. If we are just stoping to swim in a open area I drop just the bow.

Back