Box anchor size ?

Al D

Reaction score
Hello all have a 2275 RLI Tritoon with a 150 yamaha and was wundering what size box anchor for Lake Wallenpaupack. Fairly choppy water with a mild current in most coves.

Will the small be enough or just go for the large to be sure?

Thanks in advance.

Big Al D

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the small one, it has held our pontoon, another toon and a 18' ski boat without any drift. I think you would be fine with the small.

Lets see what others have to say.

Hello all have a 2275 RLI Tritoon with a 150 yamaha and was wundering what size box anchor for Lake Wallenpaupack. Fairly choppy water with a mild current in most coves.

Will the small be enough or just go for the large to be sure?

Thanks in advance.

Big Al D
Big Al - I went with the small size (not the baby) and it seems to work fine with our 2575 RCW on the same Lake.

What Marina are you based at?

Eric, we are at Sandy Shores near Capri. Where are you?

Glad to get your local input on the anchor, where do you ussally go?

Big Al D

Slide Anchor is the Brand Name of the Box Anchor. The way they size out the anchors is some what confusing. So this was a good question.

A baby is smallest

A Small is more like a "Medium"

The Medium is more like a "Large"

The Large is big and heavy enough to anchor a cruze ship, LOL

We have 2 Bennington's both have "2" Box Anchors on board. The Family boat has a "Baby" and a "Small" We place the Bigger Anchor into the wind and the smaller anchor on the other end of the boat (This is when we park with 2 anchors and don't want to move)

The Baby works fine for our 25 foot boat's and its the one I reach for most of the time unless its quite windy. Its Very easy to fold and throw. If your good at setting a anchor you can do just fine with a baby. But if your don't want to have any question just get the Small. It's larger and its heaver it's harder to throw but it sets more easly and you don't need as much line as with the baby.

2 Small Box Anchors will hold you boat in a pretty good wind with 100% confidence. So my advice is if your great at setting anchor 2 babys will work great, but if your not Mr Anchor get 2 Small's

Geewest put me on the box anchor. One small, which is quite large, holds my 2550 RL better than anything else I've tried. I added a 5/16th s.s. quick link in mine to allow the long rod to fold flat. I also built a pan to set it in and a rod-type set-up to hold it in an upright position. Geewest has seen a picture of it. I'm working on an in-deck storage box now. Will probably buy a second anchor but hadn't thought about a baby for the secondary. Great idea. Steve

Yeah Steve, can he? :) love to see pics!

Here is Steve's Stainless Anchor Holder. It mounts on the Front Gate. Anchor Facing outwards

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

I have the small one as well. It's still about 18-20 lbs. It's small enough to fit (open) under the seat up at the bow. Mine has held my boat and another 25' pontoon in choppy water.

Thanks Grant for posting, it actually hangs next to front gate on the inside. It gets into the curve a little on the rail so I had to curve the bracket 1/4" where it would seat properly. The pic is in my shop on and old pontoon door but I have one of it on the boat. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. Steve

Eric, we are at Sandy Shores near Capri. Where are you?

Glad to get your local input on the anchor, where do you ussally go?

Big Al D
Big Al - We are at Lighthouse Harbor. I think you are at the other end of the lake from us, if I remember correctly.

Eric

Big Al - We are at Lighthouse Harbor. I think you are at the other end of the lake from us, if I remember correctly.

Eric
Yes Eric you are across the lake from us, I like Lighthouse they have done all my service and have been more than fair on all ocasions.

Big Al D

Are you all using any anchor chain with this or rope only. I was thinking about a short 3' piece to help it lay flat any thoughts?

Big Al D

Are you all using any anchor chain with this or rope only. I was thinking about a short 3' piece to help it lay flat any thoughts?

Big Al D
I use 1/2" Rope only.

Yes Eric you are across the lake from us, I like Lighthouse they have done all my service and have been more than fair on all ocasions.

Big Al D
I will keep an eye out for you guys next time I am at that end of the lake.

Just ordered the baby and small box anchors from Overton's. They matched the manufactors price and had free shipping.

My SMALL anchor came in and it's pretty big, but really looks like it will do the job i'm just hopping it comes out when its time to leave. Have any of you had any problems retrieving your box anchor?

Big AlD

Used the "baby" anchor on Monday and it was easy to pull up. Once the rope got close to verticle it came right off the bottom.

I love my "small" size box anchor for our 2275 RCW. I use it with the anchor buddy bungee style anchor rope and it sets and holds with 100% confidence. Anchor buddy never gets knotted up. It is the perfect combo!

Back