Box anchor size ?

I would advise people away from the Anchor buddy. The anchor buddy system is a Bungee coard, It works great if you would like to do anchor in this way.

Let's say you would like to Park next to a dock but you don't want to touch the dock. The anchor buddy will allow you to anchor out away from the dock and then you would use a second rope to transome tie (or back into) "the dock" allowing you to pull "or stretch" in the boat to you.

The down side is this system is made for smaller lighter boat's like ski boat's I have had a few Anchor buddy's and they all break after a while the inner bungee coard get stretched and brittle and breaks. With a larger heaver boat like a pontoon I can't see them lasting long, But I can see how they would work in some cases very well. But I would not trust them sort of somthing I would only use while I was in the boat. I would not overnight anchor using a bungee system/

My advise is to learn how to anchor with a reliable anchor like the Box its super easy. The longer rope you lay out the stronger the box will have a grip. When I don't want to move a inch. I try to put the front of the boat into the wind and let out 60 to 90 feet of rope at the wind side and then "rear anchor' with only an few feet and your set. You will not be going anywhere.

Example

DSC01732.jpg

Last edited:
Tried our new box anchor this past weekend.We where tied up with 4 cruisers 26ft and over.All 4 had anchors down and we where still turning in the wind.Dropped the box in the water and turning stopped as well as the laughter over that funny looking thing as they refered to it.

Tried our new box anchor this past weekend.We where tied up with 4 cruisers 26ft and over.All 4 had anchors down and we where still turning in the wind.Dropped the box in the water and turning stopped as well as the laughter over that funny looking thing as they refered to it.
If you had 4 extra you could have sold them on the spot.

I have turned like 5 people on to the box at my lake and they all love them. I don't side tie to anyone because I don't need any damage to the side of my boat or my toons. IMO 99% of dammage come's from either a "friend" side tie-ing to your boat or parking on a dock in rough water So when "friends" show up they have to anchor them self's. AWAY FROM MY BOAT! :D

Most of the time I have to end up helping because I don't want their boat drifting into my'n. The buddy's that have the Box anchor, They pull up & throw their box anchor and they are DONE. And I have the security knowing they aren't going to cause me problems when or if the wind picks up. So as far as I go the more people that have them The better. :lol:

On a side note. It's quite funny to see the reaction on peoples face when the find out from me they that they can't side tie to me! Im sure they pull up thinking "Ooo this is going to be easy" Ill side tie to the "Party Barge" I see them pulling out their Bouys and Im like NOPE, You aint tieing to the side of me, LOL Their face says it all. :angry: and Im fine with it, My toon's still like like New

Last edited:
I bought the small box anchor about a month ago for my 2275 GCW. There is nothing 'small' about this anchor. I holds rock solid every time. No issues thus far getting it off the bottom. My only concern is making sure I tie it off good. For what this thing costs I don't want to loose it like all the others I've donated to Davy Jones.

Has anyone tried the box anchor on a rock bottom lake like Table Rock Lake???

Jack

I have the small box anchor and kove it! Had 2 22-foot toons rafted up this summer in a fair breeze. The box held both boats in place. All of the cruisers anchored nearby were frequently reseting thier danforths.

Just bought Overtons Small box anchor and 150 foot of nylon anchor rope

for my 20' Benni

Thanks all for the suggestions

Ron

Hope it works well ! :unsure:

Just bought Overtons Small box anchor and 150 foot of nylon anchor rope

for my 20' Benni

Thanks all for the suggestions

Ron

Hope it works well ! :unsure:
Overton's will match prices. The manufacturer was selling on their web site cheaper than Overton's. I bought a small and a baby and Overton matched the price with free shipping. You will love the anchor.

A lot of people seem to love the box anchor, anybody have a richter anchor? I have heard some great reviews on these but have never used one. They seem to be slightly cheaper than the box anchor. The Bennington dealer I am going thru swear by these.

The Richtor looks like a really agressive anchor. It does have the capability to be pulled out from thr back side which would be an anchor saver. So far I like my box. Steve

The box anchor works!

I'm going to be testing a new light weight (made from aluminum) box anchor. It's gonna fold away a bit diffrent as well. I'm excited to see if we can get the anchor down to 10 lbs or so and see how we'll it holds compaired to the Larger heavier box.

I'm going to be testing a new light weight (made from aluminum) box anchor. It's gonna fold away a bit diffrent as well. I'm excited to see if we can get the anchor down to 10 lbs or so and see how we'll it holds compaired to the Larger heavier box.
Are you fabricating the anchor or buying it?

I'm working with a guy who currently makes anchors. I'm helping him

Redesign his current anchor. I'll keep you all informed as it moves forward

I would be interested in an aluminum box anchor. We are on a lake with a sandy bottom, I think this would work great here.

I have both the Richter and the Box. Started with the Richter- awesome if the bottom has rock, or other solid items as it hooks quick and releases pretty easy. Plus you can throw it with some caution.

Sandy/ mud- big boat, pulled too many times but less than the flukes that I got rid of.

Box- so far so good. Couple high wind days and she didn't move. Fingers crossed.

Heard and read alot of good things about the box anchor you all have. The main anchor I've had in 5 years of owning our toon is the 15 lb. "Digger" anchor.

Never had a problem setting or retrieving it, holds in any kind of weather, and fit's perfectly under the front corner lounge seat with 150 feet of anchor rope. I do use a small fluke anchor off the stern to stop that "pendulum" effect on breezier days...............

Back