Box Anchor

No chain needed, just tie it off good

If you use a shackle, safety wire Or zip tie the pin. As me how I know:eek:

I had anchor lines with the thimble in the end. Almost lost the small box. It had 1 turn of thread holding it on.

I had anchor lines with the thimble in the end. Almost lost the small box. It had 1 turn of thread holding it on.
Ill be sure to inspect mine in the future
such lessons are not cheap
especially with a box anchor
I still use chain out of habit
especially if I don't use a lot of rode such as a narrow cove
thus I tend to use shackle a lot

Nobody is going to talk me out of using a danik hook however.

My first two boats had anchors that have never been used. This boat doesn't have one. The dealer recommended TWO 18 to 20 pound "river anchors" (the mushroom type with cutouts). I've been hearing a lot about the box anchors and I'm leaning toward that one ESPECIALLY if just one will do.

Will 1 do?

What size do I need?

1 Small holds our 25'. We had a baby for the back if we anchored in a cove with other boats.

I also have a Small and a Baby.
Shop around ,price varies a lot . Some online stores offer discounts

We have a small box. Easy to use. My wife even used it last week when was out on the boat on a girls weekend. Holds great!

This is the very reason I can't see spending upward of $100+ for an anchor. I've lost two; one from the binding loosening on the boat cleat, and the other from the anchor line fraying at the point of connection to the anchor. I didn't fret too much about those, since they were about $30 each, but if I lost one of those box anchors, I'd be pouting for a month.

My small box works great and that's what I use when I want to be sure of a good hold (around other boats, close to shore, etc). But I also have a river anchor that works well, and it's easier to set up, clean (we have some very nasty mud/clay that can be hard to teabag clean) and put away, so I use that a lot.

My first two boats had anchors that have never been used. This boat doesn't have one. The dealer recommended TWO 18 to 20 pound "river anchors" (the mushroom type with cutouts). I've been hearing a lot about the box anchors and I'm leaning toward that one ESPECIALLY if just one will do.

Will 1 do?

What size do I need?
1 will do. But if you ever anchor in close proximity to other boats you will want one for the rear to prevent the pendulum effect or swinging of your boat........

Back