Brand Spankin' New Owners (So Wet Behind the Ears)

Timamy771

Reaction score
We became owners of a 2013 22 foot SLX with a Yamaha 115 2 days ago! Still a little nervous because there's so much we don't know, but we had our 'maiden voyage' on Saturday and had loads of fun.

We ended up paying about 17% off of the MSRP. Looking in the forum, it looks like 22% off is what some have been able to negotiate. My husband and I both hate the back and Forth and what's done is done, but did we get taken? I hope not, because our dealer seemed very nice, but it would be good to know.

All depends on location, number of boats sold, type of boat, etc ......

Don't dwell on the price. A boat in Indiana is prolly a heck of a lot cheaper than in Florida.

Transportation costs are a chunk of the cost.

After all, the price seemed good when you ordered, hindsights always 20/20

Just enjoy, welcome to the family and oh yeah ..... PICS OR IT AIN'T TRUE !!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to this crazy world of pontoons.

We all had to learn from trial and error. To start, just make sure you have a set of ropes for each corner, enough life preservers, a throwing device and beer. Lots of beer.

You cannot worry about the price paid. It's a done deal. What's the MSRP to one may be different at another dealership. There are many angles to the marine business--volume discounts, boat motor pricing. This is not the car business where all get the same wholesale price, and it's $100 over invoice.

Congrats Timamy771! Have a great summer...................like Semp said..............PICS!

Uhhh.... I think 17% off MSRP is a GREAT deal for just 2 days ago. You bought at a really bad time of year, in my opinion. So, I would say you got a good deal. Based on many of the posts here lately, it sounds like dealers everywhere are pretty swamped right now. More people have been writing about delays the last month or so than I've ever read on this forum before. I'm sure there are dealers not discounting them very much, if at all right now.

Welcome to the party and congrats on the new toon.

Welcome, as some have stated, as long as you are happy with the purchase (and I'm sure you will be), the price you paid will be a distant memory faded by many, many memorable moments! Enjoy you new funtoon!!

Here is how we think of it: We budgeted a certain amount,...we came in slightly under that.....now it's time to spend money on gas! Congrats, the great news is that you bought a premium product with a great reputation. We never noticed it before, but our lakes are littered with Benningtons from all sorts of years, but the common denominator is that everyone is happy with their boats.

So relax, enjoy the short summers, and sleep well at night knowing that you didn't make a poor choice.

Even though we bought a leftover 2011 last year, and "thought" it was a little expensive for a "leftover" model, when we saw the price of this years comparable model ..... well we realized we got a heck of a deal ........ You can second guess yourself all day long, but at least you are not the one reading this that got 15% off msrp vs. 17% ....... :D

This is why prices might not be as low as before, when a product is selling well you can not expect the dealer to give it away

Congrats on the new boat and we need pics.

Jack

This is why prices might not be as low as before, when a product is selling well you can not expect the dealer to give it away
Link,

You beat me to it !!!

Discounts? We just purchased a new 2013 20 SF a couple of weeks ago (haven't posted anything about it because I haven't uploaded pics yet) and we spoke with two dealers and neither were willing to move off of their prices, which were close to MSRP, from what I can tell. Then again, each time I went to either dealer, they had fewer available.

Ron

I really feel the "best" dealers don't have to budge much on their price, as they are so good at servicing before and after the sale,

that they get repeat business from customers willing to pay a higher price for the quality service.

I know I will ...........

Buying premium product in peak season isn't going to get you much of a discount, as the selection is thinning out too. When we made the decision on the Benny last fall, we priced 3 local dealers within ~50 miles for a spring delivery of a 2013 model.

To SemperFi's point, we did NOT choose the lowest price of the 3 because of what we learned from referrals and our personal experiences in the purchase process. We don't trade or upgrade every year, so ultimately we had to decide if we liked it more than our money (we did), not what another person might have paid or concerns about short term resale.

... haven't posted anything about it because I haven't uploaded pics yet...
THAT is very funny! You have obviously been following this forum. Welcome aboard!

I could have paid a tad less ,but I didn't care for the dealer .

I could have paid a tad less ,but I didn't care for the dealer .
I was in the same boat (pardon the pun), plus it was a 4 hr drive. I chose to stay closer to home with the dealer and a better reputation.

If it makes you feel any better; we went to the boat show with what we thought was our budget, saw how the Benningtons compared to the rest then decided to go all out. We spent TWICE our budget but still felt we walked away with a good price. It's an awesome boat and people notice. The only hard part is realizing how hard it is to find somewhere to go. Southern California has no good lakes. No worries though, a few more years and we can retire to a lake somewhere....

Back