Building a shed/shop for the Benny do's/don'ts

Yes they are quite large, especially when you actually put them inside a building.  You really get a sense of it then. So back to your original post, why do you think I SHOULD do an overhang? Just esthetically or functionality? I thought if I had them then at least I could do some pot lights all around it, just wondering if it has any true benefits?
Typically an overhang creates an area for vented soffit for airflow through the trusses/rafters to keep the roof at a constant temperature. It helps prevent ice dams which can cause leaking, damaged shingles, and destroy gutters. You want to maintain the cool air from eave to peak.

With a steel roof it's not as much of an issue. It should save slightly on costs on trusses as the chords are shorter so less material.

I like the looks of overhangs, but then again, they are typical in our area.

.02 here.

First and foremost, build as big as feasible.  You can never have too much room.

Flexible armored cable for the electrical.

In my area, 3 1/2 inches of concrete would suffice.  Have them use the fiber and you can probably go with the wire mesh.

More later if I think of it.

good luck

Derrick,

Went through something simlar last fall.  Built a 30x40X12.5  My boat is shorter so I got away with a 10 ft door.  I went pole barn route. I did most electrical and insulation myself.  I went horizontal on the insulation and saved huge bucks over foam or other methods.  I also bought a simple Mr Heater 80K BTU gas heater for $500 from Northern Tool and it keeps everything very toasty.  If you have 16 ft walls, you definately want some ceiling fans.  Otherwise, all your heat will hang out up high.  My neighbor had to retro fans and it was a PITA.

Having trouble uploading pic.

Back