Bungee Dock Lines

Jack M

Reaction score
I would not want my lines to stretch out.

I use them only for "temporary" applications which they're great for. That is, when I'm at the gas dock, boarding guests, rafting up, etc. I wouldn't leave the boat with just these securing it.

Yeah I have contemplated those as well but they all say for "temporary securing to a dock." IMO my boat is far too heavy for me to trust those. I use that braided nylon anchor line from Overtons:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Braided-Nylon-Anchor-Line-1/2-x-150&i=74836&aID=602A2&merchID=4006

I used the 1/2 stuff for my anchors and also to tie my boat to my dock off. Might be overkill but I know darn well that stuff aint breaking even in the strongest storm. I just ordered another roll of the smaller 3/8 to use for lines to carry on the boat to tie up to other boats and docks when I am out as the ones I use for MY dock remain on my dock. Plus this color matches my Bennington perfectly. #stylepoints

The dock lines they give you work real nice. Have them show you how to tie it up.

A couple of these might be a good idea......dock bumpers

boat-bumpers_5151740.jpg

Yup...you can never have too many bumpers. I already had 3-4 on my boat and I just picked up two more yesterday.

Proper dock line has some "stretch" anyhow. Not a lot, but enough for stress from wakes and such.

Remember, you just bought a Benni, don't "cheap out" on dock line. Stick to tried and true.

I leave about 6-8 inches of slack in my lines, NO WAY WOULD I WANT 2-4 feet !!!! Imagine the momentum that toon would get from a good wake, pull away 2-4 feet from dock, them come crashing back in...... No way !!!!!

I have 3 bumpers on my 22' now, I'm prolly adding another, plus maybe 3 hanging from a dock line from one cleat to the other. Can't have too many bumpers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proper dock line has some "stretch" anyhow. Not a lot, but enough for stress from wakes and such.

Remember, you just bought a Benni, don't "cheap out" on dock line. Stick to tried and true.

I leave about 6-8 inches of slack in my lines, NO WAY WOULD I WANT 2-4 feet !!!! Imagine the momentum that toon would get from a good wake, pull away 2-4 feet from dock, them come crashing back in...... No way !!!!!

I have 3 bumpers on my 22' now, I'm prolly adding another, plus maybe 3 hanging from a dock line from one cleat to the other. Can't have too many bumpers.
I have 5 , 2 - 3/8 x15 , 2 1/2 x 20 & 1 ,1/2 x 25 all 3 strand ,with 6 " tidy ups "

Last edited by a moderator:
I did buy one of the bungee's for our Lilly Pad .

You need red ones !!! :)

I bought the same ones- first year out on the lake- was planning on using for temorary applications only- but now Im kind of debating even that...

I did buy one of the bungee's for our Lilly Pad .
That is a great application for a bungee. I agree with others, I'd never use them as dock lines.

This is a long video, but very informative.......

FINALLY got around to watching that video....dang job kept getting in the way. Anyway nice video. Thanks for posting.

FINALLY got around to watching that video....dang job kept getting in the way. Anyway nice video. Thanks for posting.
Don't ya hate when work interrupts your forum surfing .... LOL !!!!

Back