Bunk Replacement

Good price for the 2x4's. Post pics when you're done......

If you put pads on, be sure to put gaps between pads where the welds are. Mine are solid the entire length of the bunk and the welds are making indents in the plastic, which might be putting unnecessary stress on the welds when the boat sits on the trailer.  Might not be a big deal, but if you can space them right without much trouble, you'll avoid the problem altogether.

update:  Took the bunk off and it was rotten in 2 sections.  Called Lumber King in Somerset KY and they stock 20' 2x4 in Spruce.  $10 each.  Need 19'8".  I am going to order some slide pads to install instead of carpet. The welds on the toons destroy the carpet. 

Looked at the carry capacity tag on the trailer.  4000lbs.  No wonder the trailer is self destructing.  That somebody would sell the previous owner that undersized of a trailer is almost criminal neglect. 

You will more than cough up those savings when you go to buy the pads...  They are almost as expensive as PADS.

Consider PVC boards like I did. Much cheaper. Full coverage of the bunk too (other than the weld issue I mentioned).  I'll probably notch them out where the weld sits. 

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/siding/trim-boards/3-4-x-3-1-2-x-8-white-reversible-pvc-trim-board/p-1444436264341-c-13411.htm?tid=8414060006091056711

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider PVC boards like I did. Much cheaper. Full cove

rage of the bunk too (other than the weld issue I mentioned).  I'll probably notch them out where the weld sits. 

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/siding/trim-boards/3-4-x-3-1-2-x-8-white-reversible-pvc-trim-board/p-1444436264341-c-13411.htm?tid=8414060006091056711

Thanks for the tip.  I had read that deck boards could scratch toons.  I like the PVC trim.  I will get some and use their fastening system. 

These boards are quite soft. A lot softer than deck boards.  Matter of fact you could not use these for decks at all.  You'd fall through.

I used common drywall screws. But, I predrilled each hole to make sure the screws countersunk so the toons would never catch one. Then I caulked over each one to keep water out. The drywall screws were a LOT cheaper than their special screws. Like $2 a box instead of $20.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you just installed the 3/4" boards only not on top of a 2 X 4 bunk?

No. They replaced the carpet. Not the bunks.

Back