Buzzer

Hunterleej

Reaction score
06 Bennington 20' .....06 Yamaha 60 HP four-stroke...........Got her out from under the shed for 1st clean- up this morning.....hooked up the ear muffs and she purred like a kitten.......after about 3 or 4 minutes I slipped her into forward and eased her to about 1500 RPM...still purred like a kitten but after maybe a minute I got a buzzer going off......I shut her off and put her back in neutral and she fired back up but as soon as I slid her into forward, I got the buzzer again.......I immediately came in the house and posted this note.....am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Probably getting hot, you sure you got the muffs in the right spot and enough water going through it?

uhh, not to sound weird, but how strong is your pee stream? haha I'm guessing that if you have muffs, you've probably done it before, once it starts buzzing, does it keep buzzing when you return it to neutral, or do you just turn it off right away?

Pee stream is not as strong as when it is in the water but it is steady......when I slide back into neutral it keeps buzzing and I have to turn it off.....I can start it right back up and there is no buzzer until I put it in forward again....maybe it is not getting enough water??

Is it the GPS telling you are in shallow water?

I "think" at idle enough water may be going through system but in gear, you may not be getting enough flow through the pump. Also being an 06, your pump may have deteriorated and need replaced. It may be the overheat alarm .. Did you check your engine manual to see what info it may have ??

Last edited by a moderator:
My '05 150 has the hook-up for a water hose. If yours has this, try it instead of muffs. Steve
DO NOT DO THIS !!!!

The 60 hose is a cooling passage "cleaning" hose, NOT A COOLING HOSE !!!!!

BELOW IS DIRECTLY FROM THE MANUAL !!!

Flushing power unit (garden hose connection)

Perform this procedure right after operation

for the most thorough flushing.

Do not perform this procedure while the engine is running. The water pump may be damaged and severe damage from overheating can result.

Below are warning buzzer symptoms......

The warning for oil filter clogging is similar to the warnings for low oil level and overheating. To make troubleshooting easier, check for engine overheating first, then oil level, and finally oil filter clogging.

SemperFi, it amazes me how you find all these answers, nice job

SemperFi, it amazes me how you find all these answers, nice job
Thanks Link,

Even though I'm somewhat new to boating, I'm very energetic at learning and doing ..... my first boat was the V4 Johnson motored jet boat about 5 years ago.

I learned quickly about rebuilding carbs, swapping head gaskets, even swapped motors..... (gave me a good reason to buy a chain hoist :D ) If I don't know it, I search and hopefully find an answer ...... ;)

I'm just glad to help out any way I can ... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Semper , I am going to research this more. Seems logical to me that anything that flushes all cooling passages should cool the motor. I'll check my owners manual tommorrow and get back. If that is the case with the 60 I would hope it has a warning sticker on it. Steve

My boat overheated 2 summers ago due to sucking up a ton of silt on a busy holiday weekend after going through a busy yet shallow channel which plugged my impeller. I had moved toward more open water and was running about 3/4 throttle when my high temp alarm came on and then shortly after the boat automatically slowed down to idle...a feature I didn't know existed until that happened.

Semper , I am going to research this more. Seems logical to me that anything that flushes all cooling passages should cool the motor. I'll check my owners manual tommorrow and get back. If that is the case with the 60 I would hope it has a warning sticker on it. Steve
Don't know if it has a warning sticker, I don't recall, but it states it plain as day in the OWNERS MANUAL.

If the motor and dash had a warning sticker for every thing that can go wrong, there'd be stickers everywhere, that's why you have a manual, to cover all these items.

I know my manual said not to use it for cooling the motor as well, since I was helping the kid who was changing my oil at the yamaha dealer, he had just started, knew a lot about Evinrudes, had never seen an SHO, we went through the manual a lot that day, it was good though, I learned a lot too. Kid knew his stuff, just not on that motor.

Back