Calm before the 4th of July storm.........

BigKahuna

Reaction score
gallery_1283_354_985553.jpg
Finally got to make it out to our lake after all the rain we had. Wanted some peace and quiet before the "crush" of this weekend..............

Last edited by a moderator:
That will be me today n Friday !!

Looks like Sat/ Sun will be a wash ..... :-(

We're supposed to get more rain today through the weekend and it's rained every day for the past 2 weeks.

Pretty much the same here but we had a clear window yesterday afternoon, chance of thunderstorms on the 4th, gorgeous Friday and Saturday..............It's been so wet mushrooms were growing in the yard............

Mid 80s and under 30% chance of thunderstorms, after raining most every weekend I am hoping. Happy 4th everyone, don't forget to show your pride with the stars and stripes on your Benny

Hope everyone has a safe and good time. For the first time in 20+ years we are waiting until Saturday to go to the lake. The amatuers and the drunks are keeping me home this year to give them two days to get it out of their systems. Last weekend was a prelude to the holiday at our lake and the idiots made it a stressful time which is not good. Enjoy. Steve

Our lake was pretty different from most July 4ths. It's been raining hard all day, and temperatures are cool (70's). Rain let up for 2 hours, and a couple of hundred boats were out after dark. It was a little windy, and the waves were pretty rough.

The city had a major fireworks display--the big mortar fired rockets. We went out in the middle of the river, and could easy see the fireworks from about 5 miles away.

There were also a number of other private fireworks displays all over the place. There was some serious money spent on fireworks tonight.

And all of the fireworks displays were enjoyed by many.

I am NEVER going to the lake on the 4th of July again. Craziness. Drunks, newbies, a boat full of just teenagers (no adult supervision) tubing and cutting in front of boats. They dumped their two riders right in front of us and I had to stop. We saw two boats that had people sitting on the bow, feet over the edge, while underway. Thought for sure I was going to see 3 pontoon boats hit each other at the same time. You'd think with a crowded lake people would have the sense to stay to the right as much as possible. Most were doing that, then you'd have some idiot screaming by weaving in and out between the responsible boats. I was tense the whole time. Mowing the lawn would have been more fun. But, we are heading out now and the lake should be empty this early in the morning.

Was up late watching you-tube videos of Merc's new 150 four stroke. Hoping for Christmas in July.

Yup, you can't fix stupid .... That's why we stayed home. We left lake at 4 pm. We had sailboats, windsurfers, rental v bottoms , rental pontoons and the normal boats going every which way. I was anchored and had 2 sailboats come within 20' of our toon, I was about ready to pound on some people. Thought it best to just move where it was less hectic, so as to stay out of jail over the holiday .... :)

I am NEVER going to the lake on the 4th of July again. Craziness. Drunks, newbies, a boat full of just teenagers (no adult supervision) tubing and cutting in front of boats. They dumped their two riders right in front of us and I had to stop. We saw two boats that had people sitting on the bow, feet over the edge, while underway. Thought for sure I was going to see 3 pontoon boats hit each other at the same time. You'd think with a crowded lake people would have the sense to stay to the right as much as possible. Most were doing that, then you'd have some idiot screaming by weaving in and out between the responsible boats. I was tense the whole time. Mowing the lawn would have been more fun. But, we are heading out now and the lake should be empty this early in the morning.

Was up late watching you-tube videos of Merc's new 150 four stroke. Hoping for Christmas in July.
I was afraid it would be crazy on the res. Hope your day was better, we pulled out and headed south to a larger lake (Rathbun). Still busy, but you could at least get away from the madness.

No offense to sail boat fans but they piss me off when done on small inland lakes. The other day there was a couple people on one carving back and forth and kept getting closer to the boat. We were trolling and I finally had to gun it to get out of the way, wife's line snagged on something broke the line. I wanted to get out my 12 gauge and blow his sail to pieces. AAAHHHHHHHH!

We have had 3 fantastic weekends in a row but the weather will make us sit this one out :( We were able to get out early and snag a great cove all 3 weekends before the drunks got over their hangovers and headed out. Last weekend got a little rough because one of the marinas puts on a huge fireworks display. Luckily for us its a few miles away on the other end of the lake.

We had a freelance writer out on the boat doing a story about Lake Norman and the 4th of July for PDB magazine. It was in between thunderstorms and the lake was crowded, and rough. We never go out on weekends or holidays (amatures) but I felt bad for Gini because she was here all week and all it did was rain. The lake is way up in my yard again. She took about 250 pictures and was happy and just as I got the cover back on the skies opened up with rain, lightening and wind. It was sort of funny watching the people trying to get to cover.

Did you mention my name, Carl????? Ha! Diane and I just got back from a great day on the lake. Perfect Friday! No rain or a cloud in the sky.... for a change. Employees at our marina said that it was crazy on the 4th and the line to launch at the 5 floating ramps were constant throughout the day. (That's why we didn't go) Today we got our boat out of the storage yard, took the cover off, put the cooler, bag of food and towel bag on, picked our favorite ramp and we were out in 10-15 minutes..............We met another couple in our favorite cove that owned a new Bennington 20 SLX, black w/gold accents and a 70 HP on the back. Nice! Told them about the forum and they said they never heard of it. Hopefully they'll join...............

Dr Evil.........Welcome to the forum! Your signature line cracked me up.........."1969 model wife all stock no mods". Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!

Just noticed that as well. Creative for sure! Just make sure not to refer to her as a classic!

There is nothing wrong with small lakes and tight nit community's, but to be on Saginaw Bay and lake huron, your never very close r another boat, jet ski, or any other craft that YOU chose to be near. Live open water.

Todd

I know what you mean about sail boats Andy! We were out with my cousin's MB Sport boat and he was doing some wake surfing, so we are only going like 9 mph or so, and we were headed in the same direction as they were, so I told the cousin who was in the water to just hold on, I'm going to turn us around so we can head the other way, so I drag him around and start going again, no sooner does he toss in the rope than this same stupid sailboat TURNED around and was now heading directly across our path! I was so pissed off! I tried to do the right thing and go in the opposite direction and the idiots, well, were idiots!! Then to top it off some yahoo kids in another wake boat came ripping in front of us, ballasts still full by the size of the wake, towing a tube! Totally washed out the wave we were creating and almost filled us up with water. That was the end of that session. That's why I like a pontoon, I don't care about others wakes!

Back