Can you manually raise an electric Bimini top?

Slbaker84

Reaction score
Due to an electrical issue with our dock, our trickle changer stopped working. One of the batteries is now bad. We need to get it out from under the back seat but can’t raise it enough without raising the Bimini top. However we have no power (neither battery has any charge right now and we need to fix the electrical problem on the dock before we will get consistent power to charge. How do we manually raise the Bimini cover?

Bring in another battery and some jumper cables. Connect the new battery to your dead one like you were jumping a car. Once the cables and batteries are connected, you should have power to raise the Bimini out of the way. Just a thought if there's not a way to do it manually.

We have an electric Bimini too, and have never considered needing to do it manually. My guess is you cannot without messing it up, but I am also going to follow to see if anyone knows for sure.

1. Do you have a battery power switch?
2. If not, possibly disconnect power/ground at motor and use those wires to provide TEMPORARY voltage back to batteries just to raise the Bimini enough to get to the batteries.
Another option, is if you have a MinnKota or other anchor, there should be power/ground running from batteries to the anchor itself. I know mine has power direct from batteries.

Due to an electrical issue with our dock, our trickle changer stopped working. One of the batteries is now bad. We need to get it out from under the back seat but can’t raise it enough without raising the Bimini top. However we have no power (neither battery has any charge right now and we need to fix the electrical problem on the dock before we will get consistent power to charge. How do we manually raise the Bimini cover?
The same thing just happened to me this past weekend, we got the boat from storage and the onboard power was dead. The solution to the Bimini is to unscrew the foremost aluminum frameposts from the motorized arms. There are two Allen screws on each post. Once you have the screws out (careful not to let them drop in the water!) you can slide the frame off of the motorized arms and get it out of your way. The other frame components can simply be lifted up to allow access to the battery compartment (at least in my L22), or those also have screws have well if you need it completely removed.

Back