Cheapest mod for speed. Strakes or express

Smbassman

Reaction score
Ive read many posts about this topic but never really framed to my purpose so I am asking it again my way. Twin 25” round toons and 115honda on 2275fsi. I bought this toon used to satisfy my family wanting a family tube, relaxation boat and I wanted another way to spend more time fishing. So I let the family relax and drive me around (trolling) on the Great Lakes(Saginaw bay) for walleye. My issue is that getting to those fishing waters 8-9 miles out at the current top speed (23mph) is very time consuming. So I am planning to add either inside/outside strakes or an express toon with strakes.

Here are my pros/cons.
Strakes- pros: more speed (maybe pushing 30mph?), less cost. Cons: less boyancy and not as good/dry of a ride if it gets bumpy (currently no complaints about ride other than surging - wave shield will also be added- and some spray).

Express- pros: more boyancy, increased resale value of tri toon, better/dryer ride. Cons: questionable increase of speed due to added drag of third toon, higher cost.

The main thing pushing me towards strakes is the known increase in speed. I’ve read several reports on the express toon that increased speed a lot and others that were minimal to none. I don’t want to spend the money and not get the speed. I know strakes + express + 150hp would solve all my issues but I’m not going there. It’s strakes or express.

Thank you in advance for the coming advice.

My 22 sslx had strakes on both sides of the two toons and I could hit 35 with me and the dog. It had a 115 as well. It needed a wave shield as well under the deck as surging was an issue. We sold it though and have a 24 sslx with SPS and a 200. Huge difference but for you, I'd go lifting strakes if you just want straight line speed.

My 22 sslx had strakes on both sides of the two toons and I could hit 35 with me and the dog. It had a 115 as well. It needed a wave shield as well under the deck as surging was an issue. We sold it though and have a 24 sslx with SPS and a 200. Huge difference but for you, I'd go lifting strakes if you just want straight line speed.

Thank you for the response. It confirms my thoughts.

FWIW -- I think you're going to be limited by your 115 Honda. I had one on my old boat (2000 Honda on a 2001 Bennington). That was a heavy motor compared to the other manufacturers. I considered what you are considering several times over the 14 years I owned her. After a lot of research, I concluded my 115 would not get the old girl up on plane with either strakes or a third tube.

The biggest drawback for adding strakes is the risk to the integrity of the toons. I couldn't find anyone locally that would touch the job of welding the strakes to the thin metal of the toons. Another consideration is they are highly engineered. Every manufacturer has their own shape and placement strategy.

With regard to a third toon, it is going to add a significant amount of weight and drag. And from what I've gathered here, people with express tubes wish they had opted for a full length center tube. As far as resale value, an informed buyer will probably not give you as much for your converted tritoon as a comparable one that came that way from the factory. I wouldn't.

But I admire people who are willing to try something. So good luck if you choose to take one of these on and let us know the results.

I had the express toon package and underdeck shield added to my 2012 R with a 115. While I did pick up about 5 mph initially the real benefit to me was the quality of the ride. I believe the express toon comes with strakes already on it. If speed is your only goal and not a better ride don't know if the cost is going to worth it for you to only pick up 2 - 5 mph.

150HP .... :D

Back