cleaning side panels

Juniors Jerky

Reaction score
the panels on my 2000 Benny have black streaks how can i clean them. I have tried Black Streak Remover no luck

the panels on my 2000 Benny have black streaks how can i clean them. I have tried Black Streak Remover no luck
Black streak remover is the only thing that I have found that will take it off and it is still not easy. I buy it at Wal-Mart and it is designed for cleaning the black streaks off of RVs.

I get the panel wet then spray on the streak remover, let it set for about 30 seconds, spray on some more. Then take a stiff bristle brush and scrub, rinse off and repeat if necessary. Good luck!

JJ............

Try L.A.'s Totally Awesome cleaner. You can buy a spray bottle at the Dollar store for a $1.00 and they have bigger sizes available. It'll take those black streaks off instantly and it has 100s of other uses. I also use it to clean the carpet and to pre treat stains on clothes. An excellent cleaner and it's so inexpensive...............I've been using it for years!

Where are you guys getting all these black streaks??

My Bennington is 8 years old. 8 years of being outside in the elements although the last 5 winters were spent in under roof storage. No matter how clean my playpen cover is, no matter how many times I treat it w/the 303 protectant............. when it rains the dirt and what other crap that's on the cover runs down the side of the aluminum panels and leave "black streaks". Now, I've waxed those panels what seems like 100s of times over the years and the streaks are easy for me to get off................but I still get them just about everytime it rains..............

Hopefully you'll have better luck than I have had............

I have been told that it comes from acid rain. The new Bennington's come with a round foam piece that is sewn into the perimeter of the playpen cover. this keep the water runoff away from the sides. This is suppose to minimize the black streaking. I hope it works!

I have been told that it comes from acid rain. The new Bennington's come with a round foam piece that is sewn into the perimeter of the playpen cover. this keep the water runoff away from the sides. This is suppose to minimize the black streaking. I hope it works!
Well I definitely didn't get that perimeter foam piece. The next time I go to the lake I'll be cleaning some black streaks off..........If I remember I'll take a pic............

My Bennie hasn't seen any rain yet, she's one of the lucky ones that gets to sleep inside, but you've given me even more inspiration to not let her get rained on. I checked my cover and it has the sewn in perimeter foam piece so that sounds like it will help when it does happen.

Totally Awesome is the ticket for black streak removal. I was trying to remove the black streaks off the white rain gutters on my house one day and was having a heck of a time getting them clean. I tried most every cleaner I had in my shop. Nothing worked very well, not even the Black Streak Remover for boats. Finally a guy who runs a power washing business told me to try Awesome. It's all he uses on vinyl siding and gutters. Anyhow, I sprayed the Awesome on the gutters and the black streaks began to run off instantly. I just sprayed them off with the water hose and they looked like new again. Impressive. It should work equally as well on the panels.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are reading this and trying to decide on boat colors, this would be a reason to get black...

Black streaks or water spots, either way, you're gonna be cleaning up at some point. Awesome or white vinegar. :)

Black streaks or water spots, either way, you're gonna be cleaning up at some point. Awesome or white vinegar. :)
Hmmmmm................. never tried the vinegar...........

I'm dissappointed in Bennington. I've seen other boats that are not having this trouble. They need to address this problem with the vendor who supplies the cover and fix it.

I'm dissappointed in Bennington. I've seen other boats that are not having this trouble. They need to address this problem with the vendor who supplies the cover and fix it.
It's not the cover, it's acid rain and surface dirt that runs down the older white panels that attach to the outside of the rail assembly. We currently use colored panels so the dirt is not noticable. We also use a greater combination of rail assemblies with the panels assembled to the inside of the rail. Maintenance (which no one likes to hear) is the key to reducing/eliminating black streaks, but it is hard to do once the streaks are baked on for a season or longer. Cleaning the cover and panels monthly, then waxing the panels once or twice a summer, is the best maintenance. The streaks can be removed with certain cleaners, but other cleaners will remove the paint as well. Follow Club owner's advice on cleaners. TB

Totally Awesome is the ticket for black streak removal.
I went to the "Totally Awesome" web site and they have many cleaners, which one are you using for black streaks?

Thx,

Steve

Sorry, I forgot about their other cleaners. I use the LA's TOTALLY AWESOME all purpose concentrated cleaner / degreaser / spot remover. It's the one in the clear/opaque bottle and is yellow in color.

I bought quite a few gallons and 20oz bottles the last time I was at the local General Dollar. The guy with the Power Washing business usually buys most of their weekly inventory of the stuff, so I stocked up when I realized I beat him to the store! :lol:

I would NOT recomend T/A as a panel cleaner. T/A will take off any wax you have on your pannels. Yes it will clean your panels fast but it will aso cause dull marks. If your finish is dull to begin with then go right ahead. But if you have a new boat im pretty sure your going to see where the T/A was sprayed. I would use a Cleaner Wax. This is a Wax that has a bit more abracieve than traditional wax. So you can kill 2 birds with one stone you can remove the black streaks and wax @ the same time. Wax is the key to keeping streaks away. Wax works like a clear coat for your finish. So place a nice coat of wax on your pannels and your good to go, Also don't use soap's or cleaners that stip wax. Like Dish Soap. No use in waxing your boat or car to only use dish soap and remove all the wax you just put on.

Get a gallon of car wash soap and place a cap full in a spray bottle of clear water and "whamo" you have pannel cleaner. Also it worls great as alight duty all around cleaner. You can pretty much use it on Everthing with no risk of dammage

Been using Totally Awesome for years! I did forget to mention that I dilute it 50/50 w/fresh water and it's still strong enough to remove the black streaks. Haven't had any trouble w/it removing the wax on my panels. Probably because I have a hundred coats on them. I use T/A full strength when I clean the carpet. It does an excellent job!!!!!!!

I tried several different products trying to remove the black streak oxidation from the snaps on the railing and no luck. My neighbor at the Marina let me try his bottle of "Simple Green" and it dissolved them before I even had a chance to wipe it down. Works great!!!

Back