Clueless noob has Sea Star Hydraulic Steering Question

Just going to take some practice. I'm not worried at all about pulling up to my 8'x12' floating dock, it's getting it into the boat lift with 4' waves pushing and strong winds blowing me in that is a concern. Lake is at it's widest, maybe 3 miles, where my camp is & I've seen 6' waves at times. Of course, I wouldn't set sail in weather like that but there's no doubt that I'll be be running home from a storm on occasion.

Wow! That sounds like it could get incredibly hairy. Not sure anything can really help in such conditions other than a prayer.

Wow! That sounds like it could get incredibly hairy. Not sure anything can really help in such conditions other than a prayer.

I assumed there would be many folks on these forums that had to dock under adverse conditions like that on occasion. If that's what I get for owning a camp on a good-sized lake, so be it!

A co-worker who bought his first pontoon boat (Premier) has given me a great idea to help out with getting on the lift. Using two 2"x6"x16' per cradle, he left the plank ends towards shore flush with the lift, leaving the 6' excess (cradle is 10' long) sticking out towards the lake so when approaching to land, the pontoons are lined up on that 6' section before it even begins to enter the uprights of the lift.

It would still be challenging to land with big waves coming in, but I think that plan will help.

Using two 2"x6"x16' per cradle, he left the plank ends towards shore flush with the lift, leaving the 6' excess (cradle is 10' long) sticking out towards the lake so when approaching to land, the pontoons are lined up on that 6' section before it even begins to enter the uprights of the lift.

We too are getting our first pontoon and lift for this upcoming summer at our new cottage.  I am planning on using the swimming noodle idea to get practice with docking, and close quarter handling when I first get it.  However, I also am intrigued by this idea as well.  I might fidget with it in some way if I find myself having any challenging docking in my lift in high winds and/or waves.

Our lakes is approx. 6 miles by 4 miles.  Where we are at, I anticipate having cross winds during inclement weather.  Perhaps a modification like what you mention could help ease docking.  Thanks for sharing.

Our marina is a bit tight when it comes to docking.  Take it slow and don't be afraid to back away and try again if it doesn't look or feel right.  It took me about half a summer to get the hang of docking the bennington with hydraulic steering over our old crest that had cable steering....yes they are a little different.  Going into our 4th season docking DOES get easier....like anything practice makes perfect.

We too are getting our first pontoon and lift for this upcoming summer at our new cottage.  I am planning on using the swimming noodle idea to get practice with docking, and close quarter handling when I first get it.  However, I also am intrigued by this idea as well.  I might fidget with it in some way if I find myself having any challenging docking in my lift in high winds and/or waves.

Our lakes is approx. 6 miles by 4 miles.  Where we are at, I anticipate having cross winds during inclement weather.  Perhaps a modification like what you mention could help ease docking.  Thanks for sharing.

Like me, my friend's camp is inaccessible without a snowmobile now but he's going to send me a picture of his lift modification as soon as he can get in. I'll do my best to remember to post it.

Our marina is a bit tight when it comes to docking.  Take it slow and don't be afraid to back away and try again if it doesn't look or feel right.  It took me about half a summer to get the hang of docking the bennington with hydraulic steering over our old crest that had cable steering....yes they are a little different.  Going into our 4th season docking DOES get easier....like anything practice makes perfect

Wow, what an awesome setup, even a built-in lift! I've never seen anything like that, but I haven't frequented marinas much.

May I be so bold to ask how much it costs to keep your boat there?

Our annual dock fee is $1800 for a dock that is under roof with a lift installed.  We have fresh water and a second power outlet at each dock as well as a picnic area with firepit and tables that are free to use for a group gathering.  There is also 24 hour closed circuit cameras all over the marina which deters any unwanted visitors (theft) from messing with your boat.  Yes it's a bit pricey but I figure I spent a good chunk of money on the boat might as well store it in a nice dock under roof on a lift.  The floating docks across the channel from ours is $800 for the season but no lift and no roof....still have electric at the docks though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Our annual dock fee is $1800 for a dock that is under roof with a lift installed.  We have fresh water and a second power outlet at each dock as well as a picnic area with firepit and tables that are free to use for a group gathering.  There is also 24 hour cameras all over the marina which deters any unwanted visitors (theft) from messing with your boat.  Yes it's a bit pricey but I figure I spent a good chunk of money on the boat might as well store it in a nice dock under roof on a lift.  The floating docks across the channel from ours is $800 for the season but no lift and no roof....still have electric at the docks though. 

It sounds like a bargain! I had to build a $30K barn that I'll have to drag my boat 5 miles of rough dirt road to get to, hoping I don't meet a pulp truck because they have the right-of-way. Thankfully, only 2x per year. My biggest problem with unwanted visitors will likely be mice & other various rodents when the boat is in for the winter.

Forgot to mention that for the $300 deposit in the fall allows you to leave your boat on the lift over the winter.  Then the $1500 balance is due mid Feb. for the season.  Works out good for us since we don't have a trailer and the marina will come to us for winterizing right at our docks in the fall.

It sounds like a bargain! I had to build a $30K barn that I'll have to drag my boat 5 miles of rough dirt road to get to, hoping I don't meet a pulp truck because they have the right-of-way. Thankfully, only 2x per year. My biggest problem with unwanted visitors will likely be mice & other various rodents when the boat is in for the winter.

For winter storage we just take all things out of the boat (life jackets and docking lines and bumpers and misc).....basically everything comes out.  The battery goes to the house so it can be put on a maintainer over the winter too.  For rodent deterant we like dryer sheets in all seat bottoms and a few through the boat.  Look at it this way it will smell "spring fresh" when you pop the cover in the spring.  Knock on wood.....we haven't had any problems with mice but the boat is hanging on a lift under a roof but is over the water.   Maybe the dock has something to do with it as well.....who knows.

DSCN0753_zps5d691219.jpg

Back