Clueless noob has Sea Star Hydraulic Steering Question

Oh, I forgot the most important point - Only wimps get power steering.  Right Mark?

Ha ha ha.  I'm going to get flamed for that one.

Oh, I forgot the most important point - Only wimps get power steering.  Right Mark?

Call all the names you want but I have yet to spill a drop of beer while my wife was doing the steering! ;)   Power steering does have it benefits!

Last edited by a moderator:
My first Bennington had feedback cable steering, that means that when a wave hits the motor it throws the steeing off and you are constantly correcting, { I boat on a rough lake} I installed no feedback and it was like night and day. My new boat will have hydraulic, I test drove one last fall and it suits me fine.

@ kaydano You killed me with this: "But if you are bumping your budget limit" The poor budget limit was blown up long ago :-( But this is going to be my first and only 'toon, so I want to get it the way I want it.

I'm going to get the basic Sea Star because I'll be keeping my boat on a lift much of the time, and the lift is only 9' inside. Could get tricky in the wind. With the full power assist, it's more of having one less thing to go wrong if I don't need it. And if I ever do, I can install the power steering pump and associated myself.

You all have been very forthcoming and I really appreciate it! I just hope you don't get sick of my questions. I have done searches and read past threads on subjects, but there's always something . . . !

Absolutely, Wimps

My first Bennington had feedback cable steering, that means that when a wave hits the motor it throws the steeing off and you are constantly correcting, { I boat on a rough lake} I installed no feedback and it was like night and day. My new boat will have hydraulic, I test drove one last fall and it suits me fine.

Yes, the constant feedback to the wheel is something I would not miss.  But, if I trim it right, it goes away.  I guess the opposite is true, without feedback, might be hard to hit the most efficient trim position.

@ kaydano You killed me with this: "But if you are bumping your budget limit" The poor budget limit was blown up long ago :-( But this is going to be my first and only 'toon, so I want to get it the way I want it.

I'm going to get the basic Sea Star because I'll be keeping my boat on a lift much of the time, and the lift is only 9' inside. Could get tricky in the wind. With the full power assist, it's more of having one less thing to go wrong if I don't need it. And if I ever do, I can install the power steering pump and associated myself.

You all have been very forthcoming and I really appreciate it! I just hope you don't get sick of my questions. I have done searches and read past threads on subjects, but there's always something . . . !

Fire away.  Someone will answer. Great forum.

As far as getting her into the slip. I always got mine started in the slip, at an angle, killed the power, jumped off and guided it her into my slip by hand. I did have walking access on both sides and roof supports to hold onto. 

As far as getting her into the slip. I always got mine started in the slip, at an angle, killed the power, jumped off and guided it her into my slip by hand. I did have walking access on both sides and roof supports to hold onto. 

That's part of my plan, but when the wind is coming from anywhere between South and WNW with authority,  there's sizeable waves to contend with. I've only been on a pontoon boat once in my life, and never driven one. I'm told that the wind has more effect on a 'toon than the average boat. I'm going to have a learning curve to climb!

That's part of my plan, but when the wind is coming from anywhere between South and WNW with authority,  there's sizeable waves to contend with. I've only been on a pontoon boat once in my life, and never driven one. I'm told that the wind has more effect on a 'toon than the average boat. I'm going to have a learning curve to climb!

practice, practice, practice. Kaydano has an awesome practice drill he does in a secluded cove and pool noodles. 

practice, practice, practice. Kaydano has an awesome practice drill he does in a secluded cove and pool noodles. 

Are we still talking about docking?

I was in your exact same situation! However, docking turned out to be fairly easy because of three things I do: 1) Lower the bimini-top if windy. 2) Proceed at a very slow speed. 3) When close, put the engine in neutral and guide it in under my own power. Works for me anyway!

I was in your exact same situation! However, docking turned out to be fairly easy because of three things I do: 1) Lower the bimini-top if windy. 2) Proceed at a very slow speed. 3) When close, put the engine in neutral and guide it in under my own power. Works for me anyway!

Just going to take some practice. I'm not worried at all about pulling up to my 8'x12' floating dock, it's getting it into the boat lift with 4' waves pushing and strong winds blowing me in that is a concern. Lake is at it's widest, maybe 3 miles, where my camp is & I've seen 6' waves at times. Of course, I wouldn't set sail in weather like that but there's no doubt that I'll be be running home from a storm on occasion.

Maniac

I have owned a 20' pontoon with a 90hp and cable steering. We used the boat for water sports. Of course this was when my kids were young and I was a lot younger. I never thought about it being a problem. We now have a 22' SCWX with SPS and I do like the Hydraulic steering. I'm also sure I would like full power steering and I have played with the idea of adding it. This will always be an opinion subject, as is how much HP is enough. No matter what you decide, you will love having a Pontoon/Tritoon because they are just cool. The fact it is a Bennington just makes it that much better.

Enjoy

Back