Concern with my new boat

SmithLakeSteve

Reaction score
I purchased a new Bennington in July. I have been unable to use the boat because of steering issues. How long do I have to wait before Bennington forces the dealer to fix the boat or refund my money

Dunno Steve. What seems to be your issues? A little information can go a long way! :) oh and congrats on joining the forum! What did you buy?

Not much info to go on here...Did the dealer hang the motor or did Bennington? It is not necessarily a lemon if the motor installation was by the dealer and they screwed it up. The steering system on an outboard is not rocket science, push/pull cable or hydraulic lines between the helm and the motor. It shouldn't take much time to determine the problem, sounds like a dealer not taking the time to correct a problem they most likely created. If Bennington is at fault then the dealer just needs to notify them of a problem. Again, sounds like a dealer that likes to sell a boat and not follow thru on service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like dealer is sitting on it. A holes.

SmithLakeSteve, post some more info on your problem, we have a lot of smart guys on this forum that can give you some great advice

The boat does have sea star. The dealer hung the motor. The dealer knows that it needs a new pump. But here I sit on the dock on Labor Day weekend without a boat. I purchased the boat 40 days ago. And still no ride. How do I get in touch with Bennington.

Still minimal info. Please explain what process you have had with your dealer.

When did you talk to them last, and what info have they provided you.

You can Google search in 2 seconds for a phone number for Bennington.

The forum is not to be used as a customer service access point.

When boat was delivered , steering was very hard to the left and Hydralic fluid was running out from under the helm. I docked the boat and asked that they get it fixed by the following weekend. The next week they said it was ready. When I left the marina the steering was the same. They told me that they changed the leaking fitting but did not drive the boat. The next call was with the service manager. He asked me to explain what the boat was doing. Before I could finish he cut me off and said it needs a new helm pump. They did not get it in by that weekend so I took the boat from the marina to my dock to put on numbers, load equip, etc. I sent them a note that Monday saying the boat was at the Marinia waiting on them. That was two weeks ago. Every couple days I sent text message asking for updates. On my way to Lake today. I find out that nothing has been done to the boat. What really gets me is this. If I go through the drive thru at a fast food joint. I expect poor service. But when I spend the kind of money a Bennington cost I expect good service. I can't find out how to contact Bennington direct or I would.

When boat was delivered , steering was very hard to the left and Hydralic fluid was running out from under the helm. I docked the boat and asked that they get it fixed by the following weekend. The next week they said it was ready. When I left the marina the steering was the same. They told me that they changed the leaking fitting but did not drive the boat. The next call was with the service manager. He asked me to explain what the boat was doing. Before I could finish he cut me off and said it needs a new helm pump. They did not get it in by that weekend so I took the boat from the marina to my dock to put on numbers, load equip, etc. I sent them a note that Monday saying the boat was at the Marinia waiting on them. That was two weeks ago. Every couple days I sent text message asking for updates. On my way to Lake today. I find out that nothing has been done to the boat. What really gets me is this. If I go through the drive thru at a fast food joint. I expect poor service. But when I spend the kind of money a Bennington cost I expect good service. I can't find out how to contact Bennington direct or I would.
I agree with SemperFi and think you should call Bennington directly and get them involved.  It's clear your dealer is dropping the ball.

I feel bad for you Steve, a replacement pump should be readily available on the Internet and deliverable in one to two days.  Obviously your dealer isn't living up to the supposed high standard of Bennington customer service.  You should contact Bennington immediately.

You can try their contact us page:

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/About-Bennington-Marine.php?content=contact_us

Steve,

I would be upset at this point too. As stated above, SeaStar hydraulic pumps and parts are readily available in a day or so. They are used in many boats, and have been for years. Call Tuesday and advise Bennington of the problem, hopefully they will contact your dealer and get them moving.

Hi Steve,

How close are you to the dealer? As I have mentioned in other threads, there are a number of reasons why I bought my boat from the dealer close to where I live. I know we live in an electronic era, but, there is nothing like a face to face chat when something like this arises. If you are close, I would be at the dealer tomorrow and have a "chat" with the salesman, general manager, owner, service manager etc. Texts, emails and phone calls only go so far. In regards to having a paper trail, emails sent after the meeting to memorialize the conversation are always appropriate.

Cheers, Steve

I agree with Steve above. Digital communication and phones sometimes create a "safety" buffer. Go in and talk directly to the owner, manager, service mgr, etc......

I hate to say this, but in my business, a walk in customer complaint catches my attention more than a phone or email. It's more personal.

IF you do the above and can not get some type of guaranteed satisfaction date, I would then proceed further with the above contact info.

Please keep us updated.

This forum is pretty much self moderated with Team Bennington checking in every so often.

This again is why I said this is not the "customer service access point", BUT, you will typically find most answers here to problems before even having to contact your dealer.

Steve, sorry to hear your dealer has dropped the ball on this one, but let me make a suggestion to you.

It seems, after reading other posts on this subject, that the dealer must complete the electical connections to the pump after the engine is installed.

More than once, the dealer has failed to do this, and the solution was as easy as looking at the pump connections and plugging it in.

I know it is the dealers responsibility to ensure everything works, but for the sake of lake time, it would be worth checking a few things on your own.

Back