cover causes mold on seats how to prevent

trese54

Reaction score
I have only had the boat one year and every weekend i come back to the lake and remove the cover there is black on the seats on tan seats. how can I prevent or reduce this. I have cleaned them with 303 and added 303 protectant any suggestions.

Are the seats/cover dry when you cover? Put a good coat of 303 on the cover. It's sounds like moisture trapped between seat and cover. You have to somehow keep that moisture out.

Are there any air vents in the cover?

I just did a thorough cleaning of my boat this past weekend and when finished I was just sitting admiring my Benny and thought how amazed I was at the fact the seats look like I was just took it out of the showroom.  I wipe down the seats with 303 protectant just about every weekend

I use a Davis Instruments store dry air circulator - cost $60. It sits on the boat floor and is low amperage. It warms the air and circulates the air under the cover. I use this from about October until April. My pontoon is stored on the lift all winter and when I take the cover off  - no mold. For you if you cover the boat with wet seats, I would use one every night.

Another trick- to keep out bugs and spiders = place Bounce fabric softener sheets around the pontoon inside. Take the cover off - no bugs. 

one of the things I do in the winter up north to keep my boat dry during winter storage is put a drop light with a 60w bulb suspended in the middle of the cabin. make sure the light is positively secured and your boat will stay dry and free of any mildew.

I am currently researching solar powered fans. I am sure that will help keep the mildew problem to a minimum.

Try using a couple canisters of Damprid under the cover. It's designed to remove the moisture causing mildew. I use 4 of them when I put the boat away for the winter. 3 of them in the seating area, 1 in the engine compartment of my I/O..................

Try using a couple canisters of Damprid under the cover. It's designed to remove the moisture causing mildew. I use 4 of them when I put the boat away for the winter. 3 of them in the seating area, 1 in the engine compartment of my I/O..................
What size containers of Damprid do you use BigKahuna? (I see 42 oz or 4 lb!) And is there ever a worry of them spilling over w/liquid, basically soaking up TOO much over the long winter? (thanks)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also used the damp rid last season . I used the small and placed it inside of an empty coffee can ( plastic now ) no problems 

Like Jack I put the 10.5 oz. Damprid container inside another container so it won't spill. I actually kill 2 birds w/one stone....... I put the Damprid container inside a foil pie plate and surround it w/mothballs. This way you are taking care of the moisture problem and also keeping the critters out of your boat. They hate the mothballs and it has worked for years!!!!! Go to Walmart or the Dollar store for both..............

Last edited by a moderator:
Back