cracked ouyboard motor cowling

wemoorejr

Reaction score
I have 2 cracks in my Yamaha 115 hp outboard motor cowling. Any one else have this problem?  The engine is mounted to my Bennington, stored in a boat house with a custom lift and cover. I live in La. so the weather is mild and to my knowledge, the engine cowling has not been hit by anything.  The engine is less than 1 yr old and has less than 15 hours of use.  Any thoughts?

Got any pics?

Wouldn't something like that be covered under the warranty, unless it was caused by a tree limb falling on it?

FYI:  A new cowling is approx. $1350--not including the graphics.  I'm very careful handling my cowling due to the cost--and because if dropped in the water they won't float.

Ive never seen one crack on its own.

Yeah, their prices are ludicrous. Find a good bodywork shop that does glass work. Probably repair & spray for couple hundred plus graphics another hundred or so.

Thanks for the feed back. As far as I know, there has been no trauma to the cowling.  I heard it crack while driving the boat.  Yamaha will not cover it under warrantee and a new one is $1400 plus graphics. Guess Ill go the repair route.  Still wondering what could have caused it.

Is there damage to the inside of the cover?  Could something have come loose and the flywheel thrown it into the cover?

If there was no outside force that did the damage then it has to be from the inside and it should be a Yamaha problem. I would get in touch with Yamaha directly and have them send someone to look at it.

There is no visable impact on the cowling inside or out, just the 2 long cracks.  All the parts of the motor are intact and look brand new.  Motor only has 12 hrs on it.

I would start with the dealer first. If no satisfaction there, then contact Yamaha as Carl stated. The dealer should be able to be the intermediate party if you purchased from him.

Sounds like a manufacturer's defect...

Back