Cruiser Wake

Sanity3

Reaction score
Had a Great weekend at Lake Cumberland, Lot of boats.for the Thunder Run which was held this weekend. I did have one bad exception this weekend. I hit two huge rollers from a cruiser. My 2014 2375RCW took a huge hit when the cruiser decider to start plowing through the water just before we started to pass by him. I had boats to my right and the cruiser to my left and no were to go.  I thought my boat was going to sink. the ladies were screaming, Water was running through the boat. We took on a lot of water.Blew open the bow gate and bent both front sections of the port and starboard panels Has anyone replaced one of these panel ?  I'm about sick over this. Been boating on this lake for over 25 years and something this has never happened to me before.

Everyone is safe and made the best out of the weekend.  

Once I lean how to load photos I'll put them in the for

Glad everyone is ok. Dying to see photos. I've had fences replaced. No big deal. I'd recommend an insurance claim. Did you get their registration numbers?

I think you had anopther post about this and you have to replace the fence.

There are some huge boats on this lake and of course they produce huge wakes/waves. You just have to watch them and steer clear or accelerate away from them.

The main channel is crazy! You'll look over and a 40 ft cigarette boat is passing you.......then a big cruiser is coming the other way and 2 bass boats are blowing past him.......then you come up on an overloaded pontoon boat w/10-12 people on it puttering along at 10 mph so we pass them as the jet skis are getting too close trying to jump our wake. You have to have eyes in the back of your head!!!

He was passing the cruiser, how could anyone blame the cruiser?

Depends on jurisdiction, but federal regs and most local waterway laws state that a boat cannot operate is such a way as to create a hazardous wake or wash so as to endanger other boats or shoreline.

Depends on jurisdiction, but federal regs and most local waterway laws state that a boat cannot operate is such a way as to create a hazardous wake or wash so as to endanger other boats or shoreline.
I agree there are regs out there.  I think they would be hard pressed to find that boat at fault since he was going slow enough for the pontoon boat to pass him.

Thanks for your input. I'm looking for advise and suggestions on how to replace the damaged panels. It this something that can be done my owner or would need a skilled technician to complete the task. Thanks again.

The panels come with the fence, and those fence sections are long. The furniture must come out to do the job. Call your ins co.

I got caught in a storm and had panels smashed on my last boat. I fabed up new ones out of heavier gauge aluminum, had them powder coated, and then replaced the bent ones with them.

Were you able to reuse the rails?

Heavier aluminum, especially in the front, isn't a bad idea...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree there are regs out there.  I think they would be hard pressed to find that boat at fault since he was going slow enough for the pontoon boat to pass him.
Yeah, that would be an up hill battle on enforcing it unless you were lucky enough to have law enforcement witness it.

Yeah, that would be an up hill battle on enforcing it unless you were lucky enough to have law enforcement witness it.
Can you imagine the "roller" an Aircraft Carrier must make .......  :blink:

I was off San Diego in a 38' offshore boat and hit the wake of a yacht that was probably in the 150' range. It actually created a big hole in the water causing my boat to fall into it, and then I hit the wake on the other side which almost stopped my boat. It was the craziest thing I think I have ever encounter while boating.

2 things.......when we were younger we used to go down to Point Lookout in Maryland and rent those 16 ft. Boats with the little outboard on the back. We were right there by the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and we used to venture out towards the shipping lanes that ran all the way up to Baltimore......well when those huge cargo ships would go by the "rollers" it would create would scare the crap out of us because we thought we would tip over.......

Yep, the rails were not damaged just the panels.
My panels sit in a channel on the top and bottom and are virtually impossible to change unless you are a professional. Then again you have a newer boat and it could be different......

2 things.......when we were younger we used to go down to Point Lookout in Maryland and rent those 16 ft. Boats with the little outboard on the back. We were right there by the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and we used to venture out towards the shipping lanes that ran all the way up to Baltimore......well when those huge cargo ships would go by the "rollers" it would create would scare the crap out of us because we thought we would tip over.......

My panels sit in a channel on the top and bottom and are virtually impossible to change unless you are a professional. Then again you have a newer boat and it could be different......
I used rivets and went over the rails. I did not use the channels. This was my old boat BTW. Here is a pic.

gallery_6699_811_476682.jpg

Nice job on your old boat!

Have the same problem on the intercoastal in Ft Myers area.Occaisionally meet  100 footer plowing up 4' or 5' swells and I take them at a 45 degree angle which works pretty well.If you drive straight into them they'll roll right through the boat.

No danger in turning over because of the triple logs and wide beam....but it sure feels like it .

Saw a video of the new shallow water US Navy destroyer.  IT can do 45 knots with its water jets.  One of their defense against small crafts is the wake that it puts out.  It can out run and swap the boats.  Pretty cool. 

Back