Daughter taking out my boat

Bamaman

Reaction score
When we were recently out of town on vacation, our 28 year old daughter and her friends decided to take out my Bennington.  Weather's since been keeping us grounded from riding on the lake with rains, heavy winds and big waves.

Today was very still, sunny and unusually warm at 85 degrees for the 7th of October..  I first went out and put 45 minutes on my Waverunner @ 45 mph on what may be my last ride of the year.

I moved over to my tritoon boat and turned on the ignition only to find an empty fuel tank.  I offloaded a 15 gallons of 100% gasoline into the boat.  When I turned back on the ignition, I got no gauges.

The battery was dead because my daughter overlooked turning off the accessory switch going to the depth finder.  I just hope I can get my battery charged tomorrow to take advantage of this incredible weather before Friday and Saturday's expected rains appear.

Kids!.  . 

She made a mistake but I bet she wont do that again.  Hope you are charged up and can enjoy a ride

I don't trust anyone with my stuff...not even myself. I guess on the good side it came back undamaged!

I bet she is worth all that frustration!! And more. 

Did she contact you first and ask to use the boat or just take it?

I bet she is worth all that frustration!! And more. 
I sometimes wonder about that girl.  I was more mature at 16 than she is at 28 years of age.   She also took my 2 Honda Foreman ATV's tent camping and gave'em back to me mud encrusted--and the front brakes out on mine. 

We were on a Baltic cruise to Scandanavia and Russia.

Isn't takeing your parents stuff and abusing a right of passage?

Let he who never "borrowed" your parents stuff cast the first stone :)

I knew I would get my ass beat if I damaged my parents property if I used it without permission. And if I did have permission and damaged it, I was raised it was my responsibility to repair it or pay to have it repaired. I borrowed a shovel from the neighbor a few years back and it broke 5 minutes in. I went out and bought him a brand new nicer one. Too many people don't have respect for other people or their property. I also don't let people with insufficient capital use my items. If they cannot afford to accept the risk of their use, I am sure not going to. I probably should have been born in the 40's. I can't relate with many my age (30) as most have their heads up their butts and are still dependent on support from or use their parents etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend who "loved" to borrow my stuff all the time ........... eventually I figured him out. 

I draw the line though on vehicles, boat, etc ..... I agree with the "insufficient capital" idea.

People also have this idea, that driving a boat is just like a car ......  :blink:

Such a fine line. I bought my boat with the idea that my adult "children" would be able to use it. I encourage it. They are in their mid-20s to early 30s.

A couple of summer ago, my daughter and SIL and his brother were up with a friend of their who was really excited about a boat ride. Unfortunately, Mother Nature wasn't cooperating as she kicked up a bunch of clouds and wind. I wasn't interested in going out.

The brothers were bugging my SIL to see if they could just take the boat out. I had to tell them no, that it just wasn't ideal conditions for boating novices to be on the water, with launching and retrieving challenges being my biggest issue.

They grumbled, but WTF, I bought the boat, insure and maintain it.

Still a tough spot when dealing with adults.

I agree with so many of the comments here, but especially with lakeliving's comment.   I was taught responsibility & taking care of my things., no matter how costly, big or small.  So it's very hard for me to let family, kids, relatives borrow anything!  My dad had a saying, "Don't let anyone borrow your things, if they are a friend & they bring it back broke then you'll probably lose that friendship."  My dad worked hard for his things in his era, wasn't much but everything he owned meant a lot to him.

I do have grown children, one in particular who takes after my "Ex's philosophy which is ... "if it's yours, it's like mine if we are relatives!"   Not in my world!  I have a problem with the "entitlement mentality".  

My husband and I have a wonderful life, had beautiful homes, lots of toys, now a nice boat!  We worked our butts off for everything we owned, so we take pride in keeping them nice & want to enjoy them for many years!  

So to sum it up, you can enjoy it with me, but we don't loan our things out!  That way no hard feelings, no one gets mad, no one to blame or get upset with about damage or anything broke, except ourselves!   Of course, this is my opinion only!  To each their own! :)

~ Trish

I don't loan anything with a motor, and non-motor things to people that I don't feel are responsible enough to take care of it. I don't have anyone in my family, and can't think of a friend that I'd allow to use my boat. If they tear it up, you'll get an "I'm sorry about that", then you're left with the junk that follows. 

If I loan something out, it's my fault if something goes awry. I had the choice to say no, which I typically do.

Back