Dealer price change

Johnny Volvo

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. New to this forum and need some advise.

Recently put a deposit on a leftover 2275gcw with a 115 merc not yet installed. After much reading and help from kaydano, My wife and a I decided to upgrade to the 150. Which at the time of deposit, was a $2400 upgrade that could be decided prior to engine mounting/prep. Called for a final price to get a cert bank check and they raised the price of the 150 $470+tax. Keep in mind I have a copy of the spec sheet listing all the power upgrades along with prices.

My question is...

Do I arrive at closing Saturday with a check for the lower amount and tell them to take it or leave it? Or do I pay the difference? Mind you, the deposit is only $100 and not the end of the world if we walk away.

Thanks in advance.

John

What was the "contract" price? What was the reason for the $470. price change? Stick to your guns and demand the lower price!

Well that sucks. Why the price change? Did they say? If it is already in writing show up with the check for the original amount. I'd play hard ball and see what happens. I'd bet if you walked out you'd be getting a call shortly after begging you to come back. I've found it best to follow the wife though. If she says lets do it, do it. If she wants to walk, get the door for her.

Yamaha is offering 400 cash back if you buy before March 31. Tell them to get their 475 from that.

Stick to your guns especially if you have it in writing, if they misquoted you that's their fault not yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish they offered yamaha, but only Honda and Mercury. The pricing for all the different engine hp options was listed along with the list of Bennington options they spec'd on this boat. They gave me a copy of this pricing sheet and said if you change you mind about the power plant here are the up charges. The power upgrade from a 115 to a 150 is listed at $2400 not the $2870 the salesman told me yesterday. I did ask him why the price difference and he fumbled all over himself with a non-direct answer.

Honda is a great motor. We love ours.

Wish they offered yamaha, but only Honda and Mercury. The pricing for all the different engine hp options was listed along with the list of Bennington options they spec'd on this boat. They gave me a copy of this pricing sheet and said if you change you mind about the power plant here are the up charges. The power upgrade from a 115 to a 150 is listed at $2400 not the $2870 the salesman told me yesterday. I did ask him why the price difference and he fumbled all over himself with a non-direct answer.
You've got him! Tell them you'll overlook the mistake. This time. If he was fumbling, he's got nothing. You have a printed price sheet for cryin out loud! You are standing on two feet of ice. You shouldn't even have to say anything at all, just pound your finger on the price sheet. They should be embarrassed to have done this.

Counter with $2000. Ha ha. By the way, that upgrade cost me $5k...

Does this dealer also sell used cars by chance?

One more thing... Hate to add this to your list of issues, but you will need to worry about which prop now that you are going with the 150... If you get a Merc, go with the Enertia. It's $500... Tell them you'll overlook the mistake above and won't tell the locals if they throw that in...

Thanks for all the input.

So just off the phone with dealership. They now say the price was for 2013 150 that was left over. Nothing on the price sheet or verbal that said anything about only one left, limited quantities, engine model year etc.

Told them we would discuss on Saturday. I'm taking a check for the lesser amount and they can take it or leave it. I bet they take my check.

John

Jonny that is not correct because if you buy a 2013 engine they will title it as a 2015. "At least in Ohio". Mine was a 2014 Yamaha buy they said buy law they have to title it as a 2015. So my question is do I have a left over 2014 engine or a 2015. Sounds like he is playing games with you. Might need to find a new dealer.

Johnny sorry I misspelled you name on last tread.

Jonny that is not correct because if you buy a 2013 engine they will title it as a 2015. "At least in Ohio". Mine was a 2014 Yamaha buy they said buy law they have to title it as a 2015. So my question is do I have a left over 2014 engine or a 2015. Sounds like he is playing games with you. Might need to find a new dealer.
The price of the motor could still go up each year regardless of which year It was titled in. It depends on the price it was when they bought it not when they sell it.That said, sounds like they are reneging on the deal. I would bring a check for the price you were told and walk out if they don't take it. Tell them you are going to shop around some more. Make them come to you. You can always go back in later.

Also, know that the dealer could be reading this. In case he is, I'm telling him he needs to honor the deal you were given, or we're sending Andy to see him!

Last edited by a moderator:
I already picked up his kids from the bus stop so if he wants to see billy and Sally again he better honor that original price. Do 12 year olds like lunchables?

Hope he's reading it and I could care less. They are wrong in this matter and have no problem walking out the door. Not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, but the deposit won't break us.

Stay tuned!!!

If you are uncomfortable with the deal because you feel the dealer is trying to screw you, I understand.  But if the dealer made a mistake or honestly had less into that motor because they bought it in 2013, I could certainly understand the increase.

You are probably aware that $3K is the upgrade cost on Bennington's site which is less than the MSRP adder for the upgrade.  It'll brings lots of smiles and the $500 above your verbal agreement will be forgotten immediately.  $500 is nothing when you consider it has "boating" attached to it.  Hell, I'm about to drop $800 on 4 Smarte Jacks (wheels on jacks) for my lift.  No smiles with that.

Hope you can work something out!

Mark

Back