Degreasing vinyl deck

SamF

Reaction score
Looks like the boat above ours in storage was leaking something nasty out of its lower unit, leaving a really thick and ugly stain on our rear deck vinyl.

We have tried Simple Green to no avail. I use that as a degreaser on my bikes and it works great. Did not even make a dent in the stain on the deck.

Can anyone recommend a heavy duty degreaser, or other cleaning product, that will get this stuff off without damaging the vinyl flooring? 

Thanks!

Couple things come to mind.............Try L A's "Totally Awesome" full strength from the Dollar store............. Also just try some Dawn dishwashing liquid and some hot water . Just squirt it right on it and then take some hot water and a brush and go at it!!!!!!!!! Let us know what you used to get it off.......... 

If this does not clean up would this be covered by the storage facility or the owners insurance above you?

It's like parking a Pinto above a Bugatti.

I'm a fan of Mean Green and Awesome, but Zep Orange degreaser is even better.  And if it won't get a stain out, I go to Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

I just bought a gallon of Zep yesterday @ Home Depot.

It's more than just a stain at this point - it's really tacky nasty goop. 

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe if we can get some of the mess up the eraser might work.

I am not sure about insurance. Will be looking in that direction if we can't get some improvement.

Use mineral spirits/paint thinner to clean up the goop.  Then go after it with one of the degreasers.

I use the Zep to clean my hands after painting.  It's faster and works better than the professional hand cleaners, even the ones with pumice.  Zep also takes paint out of clothes better than anything I've ever used.

Just wanted to be sure the mineral spirits won't harm the vinyl before I tried something that strong. Thanks.

Did you do anything to stop it from dripping on the boat still? I'd get with the marina, storage facility and see what they can do in regards to insurance. Not sure if something like that is covered but it is worth a shot.

Yeah, I spoke to the marina about the problem immediately. They said it happens sometimes in the stacked storage situation and that they would talk to the owner of the boat above. We put a rag over the spot (about 12 inches wide!) and there has been no further leakage.

A friend said 'no' to the mineral spirits - possibility of mineral spirits damaging the vinyl..... wonder what Bennington would say?

I'd be pissed if it were mine and it "sometime" happened onto my carpet or cover or seats .....

If I were them I'd be moving the freekin boat, not waiting to talk to the owner. By having knowledge of the situation and not addressing it right away, they may make themselves partially responsible if it happens more.

Take pictures before you clean anything.  Document who said what and when. CYA. Just in case the problem has be resolved in a manner other than friendly.

The magic erasers are amazing, just understand they are basically just very fine sandpaper, so be careful with them as they are much more abrasive than they feel.

You could also try Goop, since this is an oily mess you have.

There's another product I can't think of the name right off but I will post later if I think of it.

If you can't clean it, this might be an opportunity to replace the vinyl with one of the new faux teak products...

Last edited by a moderator:
Goof off works great for lots of stuff you might also try WD-40 it removes alot of oil based products without damage, then you can clean with soap and water I would stay away form mineral spirits and thinners they will melt your vinyl I tried to clean a stain on a plastic tub in a camper with it and it melts away the surface. if you do try it do it in a unseen place and a tiny bit. Good luck

Krud Cutter is another one that I have been amazed with. not sure if its vinyl safe.

And the winner is……..WD40. For starters at least. Finally made it back to the boat and just had a short time to work on it (time was better spent cruising).

WD40 cut through the goo and got most of the stain out. There is still some dark stuff down in the crevasses of the vinyl but I think that will come out with a little more time and elbow grease and maybe some Zep. Boat needs some rack time and a good detailing anyway one of these days.

Thanks for all your tips! Now hoping for nice weather for a Thanksgiving cruise...

WD-40 Its like 90% fish oil I have been amazed at how well it works on removing gunk. They say you can use it for fish bait and arthritis also! Ha! Glad it worked!

And the winner is……..WD40. For starters at least. Finally made it back to the boat and just had a short time to work on it (time was better spent cruising).

WD40 cut through the goo and got most of the stain out. There is still some dark stuff down in the crevasses of the vinyl but I think that will come out with a little more time and elbow grease and maybe some Zep. Boat needs some rack time and a good detailing anyway one of these days.

Thanks for all your tips! Now hoping for nice weather for a Thanksgiving cruise...
Sam - Thanks for coming back and posting your results.  Not everyone does that.  You are definitely forum member material!  I will have to remember this new use for WD40.

Back