Dent In Fence

skeptic

Reaction score
Yesterday we were on the water and tied up with another toon. The lake was very busy and the waves were higher than normal which made the boats rock more than usual. Once I put the boat into the storage unit I noticed a big dent in the fence on the port side of the boat. :( Apparantly the boats hit together at some point but nobody notice anything while on the water. It's killing me to know my boat has some damage already. I know it could have been a lot worse but it still sucks. Somebody tell me, how difficult is it to repair the dent in the fence? It doesn't appear too bad but its located at the corner where the fence starts to round around to the back. Thanks.

Hey Skeptic sorry to hear about your dent. Thats my biggest fear when rafting up with other boats. I hope you can get it fixed without having to replace the whole the panel I've heard that can get pretty expensive. On the positive side you now have that first dent out of the way.

Good luck

Steve

Hi Skeptic, sorry to hear that. If you can get to the back side of the dent, try to pop it back out with the heel of your hand. If it didn't put a crease in it, it will usually pop back out. If that doesn't work, try one of the 'paintless dent removal' guys. They do a good job on cars, they should be able to do your boat? Good luck!

Thanks guys...my brother-in-law is a paint and body man at a dealership here in town so I'll have him look at it. I did attempt to lightly hit it on the back side (yes, fortunately I can get to it) but I didn't want to make things worse (like mess up the paint) so I just left it alone. I didn't see any creases so hopefully I just might get lucky. I'm pretty sure it was the fender that made the dent since my Benny sits so low in the water and his South Bay sits a good bit higher at the stern. The boats were really rockin'. Lesson learned...we should have been further back in the cove while the water was so rough. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Last year I ended up with several smalls dents in the fencing on my pontoon boat, really bothered me. Called out a paintless dent repair person to my home. Removed 5 dents for $75.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I ended up with several smalls dents in the fencing on my pontoon boat, really bothered me. Called out a paintless dent repair person to my home. Removed 5 dents for $75.00.

Same thing happened to us.

You were lucky. I called 2 different PDR companies in the Charlotte area and neither of them wanted to touch a pontoon boat. I have access behind the dent and I pushed it out as best that I could. The problem was the top part of the fencing came out of the channel. No way getting that back in......

Can you trim the part off that won't go back into the channel?  Maybe a Dremel with a small cutting wheel?  If you're careful, probably never see it, and then maybe you could get the dent out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you trim the part off that won't go back into the channel?  Maybe a Dremel with a small cutting wheel?  If you're careful, probably never see it, and then maybe you could get the dent out.

Nope if you saw how it is you would understand how trimming it wouldn't help. We got the dent out as good as we could have done it. Every now and then it would kinda suck back in. It's in a storage area and we have full access to it. We just push it back out.......we don't really think about it anymore. It's covered by the new wrap.........

Back