Dent in my Benny :(

JasonLepore

Reaction score
Anyway of fixing a Small dent in my Benny,,,, Even worse is that my neighbor is the one that did it,,, Kept moving his boat while anchored,,, ( For no reason) his bow went into my side right behind the front seats,,I keep trying to push it but it pop in or out,,,, So pissed,,,,

The first dent is the hardest. The rest are easy!!!!!

Dry ice? Might pop right out.

Is it the tube or the fence?

Fixed it ! :ph34r:

That's what neighbors need liability insurance for. Trouble is finding someone that knows how to do sheet metal repair on aluminum. Body shop techs have ended up being parts replacers.

Post up a pic so we can get an idea of where dent is. Is it ribbed or smooth panels?

Problem is the metal has probably "stretched" so it pops in or out.

You have to work metal to "shrink" it and that takes time (money).

If they are "ribbed" panels, I don't see you "fixing" them. I'm guessing you'll have to

replace the panel. What year/model do you have?

Smitty

It is Wrapped right now... It is on the Panel... Just hard to get to,,,Its right behing my front loungers,,I can get my Finger tips bareley there to push it out... How much to replace the panel if needed? I have the 2254 STI...... but then again it is not that noticable,,, Just that My Benny was brand New and I did not do it is what bothers me.... Or I can try to take out the Lounger and get to it but I hate moving items,,seems like they never go back right.....

On the Other hand I am also having trouble with my Door Latch that gets be access Under my Controls... I tried tightening it but it does not work right.... Grrrrr

And the Last Complaint,,,, it is COLD out side.... Where is this Global Warming at? :D

You would have to get pricing from dealer on panel as Bennington sells direct to dealer only. Start there. I think it would be fairly easy to replace if you have basic skills. You should be able to remove lounger easily.

The dealer should be able to repair/replace other latch if defective and should be under warranty if under 5 years old.

As for global warming ..... I ask the same question every day !!!!!

Smitty

If I'm not mistaken, you can only replace the whole section of fence and not just the panel. Your dealer will be able to answer that question and can fix your latch problem.

I belive Carl is correct. When I first bought my boat which was on the dealers floor my wife loved the bronze dcolor so I inquired to the dealer if I could just buy the panels and he said can't do just panels need to replace the entire fence. It would be nice if you could replace panels so that you could update color and graphics in addition to replacing a dented panel

I don't know how big your dent is.But I've seen where you can heat it up with a hair dryer and then hold a hunk of ice on the dent and it will pop it out.Good Luck!

Jeff

That's too bad man. Yes, they have to replace the whole panel... I know his from experience. And what a story it is. First off, the phrase "the first dent is the hardest" only works in my book if it's your own fault. Anyone else and from now on I'm out for blood.

Here's why:

Last summer I had my 2275 GCW out on the river with my 7 & 10 year old. I believe it was our second time ever out on it and we were trying out different props. (Our dealer, who is incredible, gave us several to try out) when we were done for the day, I tied up at the end of a dock, and went to get my truck and trailer. I distinctly remember passing a guy with a sailboat in the prep lot getting his boat ready. No big deal. Not until he passed 4 of us in the passing cue and backed his boat in without waiting in line! I yelled but didn't think much of it, the guy was obviously an ass.

I finally back my trailer into the water and head down the dock to get my boat loaded. Can you believe it, the very same sailboat guy was standing ON my boat! As I approached, I could see him working his sailboat around mine to get to the very end of the dock. (The dock is L-shaped and went another 50' parallel to the river) Worst part is- I could see the bow of his sailboat banging into the side panel of my Bennie. I run up to my boat and yell out some expletives. He claims my son gave him permission to board, which was a lie. I said "oh good, you got permission from a ten year old!" At that point I was ready to push him into the water and cast his boat off into the wind, but I exercised better judgement. I asked him about the damage. He completely denied it, even though I watched him do it. I pulled out a tape measure. The height of the dent perfectly matched his bow. It's at this point where he says that he doesn't have insurance and that "it's the first dent that hurts the worst". To which I replied, "well I guess you won't mind me kicking a big dent into the Mercedes SUV that you backed the boat in with?" He backpedaled and then he tells me he would have waited to go around me but I was tied up for a "really long time", even though he was the one who cut in front of everyone in the cue. He starts untying his boat to cast off.

It's at this point where I call 9-1-1 in from of him and claim that there was a collision with a hit and run. The guy stayed to avoid that charge. Marine patrol was there pretty quick, and was astonished about his actions but couldn't do anything. I got his info, and went home very angry.

The next day I filed an uninsured boater claim with my insurance. It was 4 dents, along the port side over around 4 feet worth of panel on a brand new boat. It was worth a $500 deductible to fix it. The total repair came to $2,200!

I got a call from my insurance company (Safeco, completely recommend them, they were great to work with) and they told me I had a refund for my deductible coming back to me. Apparently they subrogated the idiots homeowners insurance, which is basically a claim between insurance companies and won the full amount of the damages back. Win for the good guys!

I hope the guy has a date with karma soon.

I'd say you lucked out PDX, good job on restraining yourself. I probably would have tossed him over .... I would be LIVID if I caught someone on my boat without MY permission ..... (or my wifes of course).

It is amazing how many people are out there boating without insurance ...... I only pay $150/yr for great coverage from BOATUS ....it's a no brainer for me.

Great story PDX, glad it all worked out for you.

SemperFi I also have Boat US and I pay $322/year and that includes 10% off because I have never had a claim yet we have virtual identical boats, wonder why mine is more than double

The difference in the insurance premium could be where you're located. And yes, a great story I've read many horror stories about boat ramps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Link,

Different area of country; age of boat; amount of deductible; no pro-rate?, disappearing deductible? Size of boat; Horsepower of boat; safe boating courses, etc., and yada, yada, yada. :)

Link,

I'm on a 20hp restricted lake, so motor cost and potential "speed" may be a factor. Also, location may play a part in it too. Also my boats on water April-Oct, then stored indoors at private storage ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back