Did I buy enough?

Believe me we thought long and hard about it! But regardless of the percentage off of the MSRP it was hard for us to buy a boat that costs as much as our 1st house! Ha! 

Yeah, but how many people ever said .... holy sh**, look at that guys first house !!!   :lol:

The motor alone was $30000. The boat was $82000. Boat show price was $65000. Did we need that much motor? No! Would it have been fun to have? Oh yeah! 

So do you mean it was $82,000 for boat and motor, or motor was $30K and boat was $65k for total of $112K marked down to $65k?

I'm guessing $82k total. Boats are relatively cheap, motors are what I find expensive. It was a big jump between 150 and 200 HP. You can almost buy a new car with a 300 HP motor cheaper than a 300 HP outboard by itself. 

I'm guessing $82k total. Boats are relatively cheap, motors are what I find expensive. It was a big jump between 150 and 200 HP. You can almost buy a new car with a 300 HP motor cheaper than a 300 HP outboard by itself. 

That is amazing when you look at it in that perspective.  :blink:

No way boat and motor for $82k with a 350 on it.

It is easy to think about "just adding in one more upgrade" - especially engine HP. However, when one puts those costs in these kinds of terms it is reason to pause and think: "you mean I can get a convertible too if I scale back 5mph on my boat?"  :p

No way boat and motor for $82k with a 350 on it.

We paid less than $82,000 tax and all for our new Q with the 350 Verado so it is possible. Yes it took some time shopping around to get it for that but I saved way more than my time cost me. 

We paid less than $82,000 tax and all for our new Q with the 350 Verado so it is possible. Yes it took some time shopping around to get it for that but I saved way more than my time cost me. 

"Shopping around".  Did you shop multiple Bennington dealers, or did you beat Bennington against other dealers/brands like Manitou, Premier, etc.?  Very interested if you shopped Bennington dealer vs. Bennington dealer.  Would love to hear how that worked.  I've often wondered if Bennington would protect their dealers from one another.  I would have NO problem driving 1,000 miles to a Bennington dealer if they gave me the right deal.  Just throw it on the trailer and drive it home when ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is easy to think about "just adding in one more upgrade" - especially engine HP. However, when one puts those costs in these kinds of terms it is reason to pause and think: "you mean I can get a convertible too if I scale back 5mph on my boat?"  :p

Boy, so true!  "Just one more thing...." LOL

"Shopping around".  Did you shop multiple Bennington dealers, or did you beat Bennington against other dealers/brands like Manitou, Premier, etc.?  Very interested if you shopped Bennington dealer vs. Bennington dealer.  Would love to hear how that worked.  I've often wondered if Bennington would protect their dealers from one another.  I would have NO problem driving 1,000 miles to a Bennington dealer if they gave me the right deal.  Just throw it on the trailer and drive it home when ready.

I shopped 3 Bennington dealers within 20 miles of us and all were competitive and very reasonable about the process. Just like multiple local car dealerships in that case.

I told Kahuna that you could do for $82k the boat he was referring to is was $65k . You can get a 350 on a Bennington upper $60's when I was playing around with boat builder depending on the discount. 

Let me say "everyone was right". We sold our boat a couple of weeks ago. Last weekend was our youngest daughter's 25th birthday. She wanted to take a few friends to the lake so we decided to rent a boat for the day. First, shoutouts to LNM and our salesman that got us a great deal on a rental.

We rented a 24SX with a Yamaha 150. My questions were answered. Sure it won't run 50+ mph like the 300/350 crowd, but I still have that $30k. But I rarely ran that fast when I had a boat that would do that. I found it ran 30+ with 6 people and cruised at 25 comfortablely. That is what I did 90% of the time on the other boat anyway. 

With 11 on board, 26 mph was lever as far as it would go, but hey, I couldn't get 11 on the other boat anyway. 

Sure, more HP would be nice, but money in the bank is nice too. I think we will be happy the 95% of the time we are on the lake with 150. For the other 5, that is what the 60mph Wave Runner is for. 

I hope to provide a real world 150 vs 200 comparison this summer once my buddies gets broken in. Both are 24 s series with the SPS package and stainless props. We'll see how much of a difference an extra 50 hp makes.

Just a note to remember, the Verado 200 to 300 are the same exact engine just a different program in it.  So if you buy the 200 for $900 dollars you can get the Simon tune and it will bring it better than a stock 300.  You are not overstressing or over revving the engine, the engine is made for that program/tune.

Just a note to remember, the Verado 200 to 300 are the same exact engine just a different program in it.  So if you buy the 200 for $900 dollars you can get the Simon tune and it will bring it better than a stock 300.  You are not overstressing or over revving the engine, the engine is made for that program/tune.

I think this opens a Pandora's box of 2-3 three issues for the owner if they do this type of custom power up.  I love the idea of it, but would not recommend it from a boat warranty v boat engineering (if at max rated hp already) perspective, engine warranty being voided, and the custom reprogram being de-programmed if service work was ever done on it.

I would think all of the above would be on the table is someone did this type of custom reprogram.  Thoughts from others, or any personal experience with any of these possibilities?  

Back