Did I buy enough?

Here is how it has always worked for me.  If I purchase my vehicles from a dealer, I always modify them.  They turn a blind eye too it because I spend my money with them.  I had a 5 inch lift and big tires on my truck and I melted my transmission.  The GMC dealer fixed it under warranty and never mentioned my lift kit to GMC.  The authorized dealer that works on my Merc knows what I have done, he is good with it and would never tell Mercury, so my warranties would be honored.  I agree, you have to have  a good relationship with the dealer though or he could make life expensive for you.

In saying that, Maine has a law that the OEM has to PROVE that your after market mod was the cause for the failure, if they cannot prove it they must cover it no matter what the fine print says.  They had to do this because OEM's were getting out of hand and claiming an aftermarket stereo caused your engine to blow, exaggeration of course :)  but they were being shady about it.

There are ways around them finding out you re-programmed your ECM, you just have to be smart about it and research.  I guess it is just like the stock market, some people are ok with the risks and others are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back