Dining table hole plug solution

LMBENNINGTON

Reaction score
If someone has already posted this solution, I'll delete this one.  The post may belong in a different forum?

I used this part to fill my dining table hole - 

http://www.lowes.com/pd_139331-37672-881306___?Ntt=881306&UserSearch=881306&productId=3127761

It requires a little sanding to make the insert diameter slightly smaller, but took me maybe 10mins to complete.  I did want to note the entire piece is smooth on top.  The picture shows some ridges, but mine doesn't have those. A small area of the top slides to the side to allow your finger in to take the plug out.  I'm 225lbs and walked on it with my heel to see if it would break and it didn't. 

Good to know. We give our dog ice cubes on hot days and they always seem to fall in that hole!!

Good solution

Great!  Now I may just consider taking out the table when I have more occupants on the boat to have more room!  Thanks for sharing that!   :)

Drill a hole all the way through the table pocket then the ice will melt and drain and then with this gadget one would have a spot to run the extension cord in from the bottom for those long winters to keep a heater or the battery maintainer going with the shrink wrap on it lol............. :p

Win Win win all the way around. :D

That hole just always has a tendency to collect sand, water, bugs, etc.  This seems to give it a more finished look too.

Let's see a pic of the finished product!

First off thanks to the OP for the idea and link to his consept.

Filling that hole with a removable plug is a great Idea however I'm not a fan of the plug in the link. I don't like the cut out in the plug. (The cut out is a break away piece for you to run wires threw) so im sure it won't be long b4 it fails.

McMaster Car sells a plug or grommet or bolt for almost any size or shape item you can think of. If someone was so inclined to get a accurate Measurment of the inner dimension of the hole I could source a part number for a proper plug. And this reminds me I need to by a set of calipers to measure stuff like this.

My boat is away for the season and not close but I would definitely be interested in this

MrG,

Thanks for posting the link.  If mine breaks I'll look at that option too.  I wanted something rubber, but couldn't find anything in my searches.  The moving piece on what I have is nice for removing the plug easily.  If you put a solid top plug in the hole, how would you remove it?  

Back