Docking lights blowing breaker

bthrel

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Question on a 2012 24 SSLX

Was out late this past saturday night to watch some fireworks on the river, while running back to the slip, the docking lights started to blow the dash breaker ( yes, I know they are "docking lights" ) but we were getting close the marina entrance and they light up the channel markers real well at night. Anyway used backup flashlight for the interim and once at the slip I noticed that only one light will light before the breaker pops. These are the standard lights not the LED ones. Before doing the dealer dance, is it worth looking at the bulb or something? Form a outside glance they look like halogen bulbs. Is it possible the bulb blew and created just enough short to throw the breaker? All other electric devices are functioning fine.

Ideas suggestions?

Thanks

Brian and Lorraine

P.S. 25 hours on our 2012 24SSLX and loving every second of it.

I would start with pulling the bulb that doesn't light up, turn the switch on and see if it still trips the breaker.

If it does not trip the breaker, problem found, if it still trips, then you have a short in the bulb socket or related wiring, and since it is under warranty....well, you know.

But, it would be worth your time to at least look for an easy fix, like a pinched wire or other damage.

Let us know what you find :)

I would start with pulling the bulb that doesn't light up, turn the switch on and see if it still trips the breaker.

If it does not trip the breaker, problem found, if it still trips, then you have a short in the bulb socket or related wiring, and since it is under warranty....well, you know.

But, it would be worth your time to at least look for an easy fix, like a pinched wire or other damage.

Let us know what you find :)
I'll do that wednesday when we are back at the slip, great first step of the self troubleshooting...thanks

Brian and Lorraine

I had the same thing happen to the Family boat turns out the dealer switch docking lights with running lights whe the replaced a light cover. The plugs are the same and it's easy to get them mixed up

I think what Gee is saying is the lights were "underfused" due to the mix up. Meaning the higher powered docking lights were connected to a "too small" fuse/breaker. But, if you're sure the right switch is being used (the lights come on for a while, then the breaker pops) then the switches are NOT mixed. Could be the breaker is undersized. I don't know if Bennington uses different sized breakers on different switches or not....

I agree with Geoffrey on what to do first, but you can also check the resistance to ground on both "pins" in the light socket after removing the bulb. Depending on the model, one of the "pins" could be the housing. If so, turn the light switch off and check the resistance between the 12v "+" terminal in the socket and ground. Use the other pin, or the socket wall, or the fence. If you get zero ohms to ground, you have a short somewhere.

If the lights came on for a while though, I'd say the breaker is undersized. If you have a hard short, it would pop right away and the lights would barely come on at all before the breaker tripped.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

I have same boat. 28 hours now. Loving it!

Kaydano,

Thanks for the reply, have not had a chance to troubleshoot further, but the symptom was as follows, lights worked for about 1 hour, then began to blow the breaker within seconds of switching on. During the few seconds the starboard light comes on, the port one does not, then pop goes the breaker (sounds like a hard short).

Going to let the dealer deal with it this winter...

27.5 hours as of yesterday and heading out in a few min today.

Cheers

Brian

From what you describe, I would swap out the breaker. Not done this myself, or even looked at them very closely, but you could swap it with one you don't use, or have the dealer replace it. That might not be the problem, but its easy and will help narrow down the problem. Finding an actual short can be really tough to find. Try the easy stuff first.

One light coming on with one off sounds like it's not a breaker though...

One light coming on with one off sounds like it's not a breaker though...
The breaker is doing it's job. As was said before, remove the bulb that doesn't light and then try the lights. Could be an internal short in the bulb which I've seen before.

What ended up being the problem?

Kaydano,

After speaking to my dealer and the fact that I slip the boat (difficult access to the nuts underneath the light housings) I decided to leave it to the mechanic when I pull out for the fall maintenance. I'm betting on a short like you said and I may within the next few months look at it my self since I will have to pull out when I get my lift installed anyway.

I will revisit the topic and post a resolution soon as I get one.

Thanks

Brian

What ended up being the problem?
Hope everyone is doing well, and prayers for the members that may be affected by Sandy the next few days.

Turns out the problem was a wire short in the port side docking light housing where the wires connect to the light socket . Some electrical tape and the problem was solved.

Hope everyone has a great winter, we sure will miss being on the river every weekend, gonna be a long winter.

Cheers

Brian

Back