Does anyone boat at Lake of the Ozarks.

I do not boat here but one of my neighbors has a lake house there and he will not boat on the weekend due to the roughness of the water so his boating is done Monday to Thursday.  Additionally, the water was high and the MO governor issue and order for the entire lake to be a no wake zone for a time around July 3rd because of fears of excessive bank erosion due to high wakes and high water.  That was lifted after the lake level went down a bit.

Jack

Been there several times, but not with my boat. There are sooo many big cruisers and go fast boats out on weekends that the main channel gets very rough.

A friend sent me a picture July 2nd or 3rd of the water being about 4 inches from topping their sea wall, they are around the 35 mile area. We watch the boat races from their place, right at the finish line.

I have also stayed up at Ivy Bend, 65 Mile area, much calmer waters up there, but not many bars or excitement that far up.

Sounds like a mad house. I guess I'll have to pull up some you tube videos!

Believe me. It is batsh!t crazy at times. BUT, it is and can be fun! There a ton of 50 ft cruisers at WOT and they leave huge wakes on a fairly narrow channel. I've heard a ton of stories of jet ski's launching off the wakes and cracking in two. When I bought my boat quoting in LOTO is where I learned of .10 vs .08 pontoons. I've heard Bennington will not sell a .08 pontoon on LOTO. Rumor maybe, but, just to be safe, that is what I spec'd my boat at when I bought it. 

Yup...they don't realize (or maybe care) what damage they can do.

Thanks for the replies. I have been considering purchasing a lake front cabin in Lake of the Ozarks compete with two slip boat dock. The big cruisers and the wakes they leave behind are the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. Most everyone there said you will be fine in your ESP tri-toon but thought someone on this forum might have some advise. We would be there mostly on weekends.

You would be fine. I have a brother in law that does the weekend thing at LOTO. You just have to be a smart boater. Their cabin & slip is in a cove

Wow that video sure showed some force from the wakes.  Surprised there isn't no wake zones in those narrow channels

Wow. I can see how that would cause extreme property damage.

When I looked at the vid., I was very surprised it didn't rip that small boat into pieces, or at least, rip the anchor points out. The boat being thrown one way and the boat house being thrown another. 

I go to LOTO almost every weekend. I generally don't have any trouble. only once did I take a wake over the bow of the boat. It does get crazy in the main channel of the lake, so I tend to stay off the main channel unless it is early morning before 9 and then it isn't too crowded. I dock at the Bennington dealer on the lake, Kellys Port Marina and they are fantastic. They are located on the 19 mile marker. It is just a hop skip and a jump to the state park and there are plenty of places to anchor or tube without getting run over. I would think twice before buying anything with a slip on the main channel. The view is great but your boat or lift would get a beating in the slip. Some of the coves are no wake and some are open. Kellys just happens to be no wake cove. Not sure where you are looking on the lake. feel free to message me if you want to chat more.

I just signed up to be a member here.  We live in Grafton IL but have a house at Tan-Tar-a at Lake of the Ozarks.  We have been boating here for about 3 years.  Just recently purchased a 2011 Bennington.  Tan-Tar-A is at the 26 mile marker.  You definitely need to be up this way for calmer boating.  The tri-toons are the thing to have here also.  We love boating here and are mostly here on the weekends as well.  We stay up on this end though (26 mile marker and above). 

Worst experience of my life in a boat at the Tan-Tar-A Resort... No matter where you are on LOTO you are surrounded by crazies, but, if you pay attention, you'll be just fine.

Thanks for the replies. I did purchase the lake house and closed on it in early October. We are in a no wake cove off of another cove at mile marker 5. Actually taking the boat out of storage and to the lake on Saturday. My neighbors have said on the weekends they take the boat out in the morning, stop for lunch somewhere and normally spend the afternoons swimming/floating/kayaking from their docks.

Back