Drones

I own a few quads (drones) and your perceptions of flyers is what the FAA and media have succeeded at doing. You have a better chance of a drunk driver hitting you than a drone catching you doing something "au natural". The cameras are good but not as good as my 500 mm zoom lense on my DSLR. What I'm able to see from the air is much worse than what I can see standing on a hillside with my DSLR. Yes, there are a few "idiots" that have ruined it for the rest of us, but I'm not concerned. I'm registered, 333 exempt, and won't fly like a di**wad, so I have no worries. I would bet 95% of the people with fears would be alleviated by actually going with someone and learning about them. If you think I want to see you naked on your boat doing the tango, you are wrong!! LOL!!!
A few years back my neighbor had a 7" telescope, when bored with star gazing he would people gaze across the lake. At 7 miles he could fill the frame of someone standing on a boat...... just saying.

The news media has certainly succeeded in making drones the problem when the real problem is a very small percentage of thoughtless people.

I agree, 95% of your fears would disappear and probably 30% of you would think it was so cool you would then buy one.

My other 2 cents....

Steve

Next thing will happen is the people so afraid of drones will outlaw kites, because it might fly over their beach and disturb them.

Last I knew, most beaches & the sky were open to public recreation! Beach ball, kites, frisbie, drone, etc!

Im going to start wearing a blindfold when I drive my boat! That way I wont accidently glance at someone with a lot of glass on their house! What is the world comming too?
You are right about the sky being free, well kinda, after FAA regs, no fly zones, AND over my property. I don't care where you fly it, just don't fly over me. And no, I'm not paranoid. If I wanted you to see into my house, and yard, I would have put on plexiglass roofs and fences. How would you feel if I pulled up next to your place, put a scaffold up near your property line, and sat up there with a camera?

This all sounds like the gun debate.  

Guns are cool mkay (In a Mr. Mackey voice)

Removed by me... to much controversy. I'll will agree with Crowbar on a link down below. Let's stop the back and forth on this junk. Happy boating!

Last edited by a moderator:
Drones are like nude beaches, everybody's perception of what they are, and what it's really like, are not the same ........ less than 1% of people on a nude beach are pervs, and probably 99% of the nude people no the beach are not GQ / Cosmo models ..........

Whether I take pictures with my DSLR, or while flying my drone, I'm not focusing on PEOPLE, I'm focusing on the subject I came to photograph, nature, boating, animals, etc..... I can go on the net to see nekkid people ........ as I'm sure 99.99% of "UAV" flyers do.

I thought boating was supposed to be fun? Now your talking about shotguns, paint guns and cameras, oh my!

Do you guys shoot at news helicopters or tourists with cameras that happen to wander down "your beach".

Im so glad that where I boat, that everyone is just there to have a good time!

Last year when we brought a quadcopter to the beach(no camera) everyone wanted to se it fly!!!

Drones are just a hobby, just like boating! Do you shoot at boats that come near you?

Most drones dont have cameras, do you shoot at those also?

You sit a hundred yards away and look towards the boats having fun? Should you be looking!

And last but not least, Tooner, if you want to watch my yard, thats ok! Keep an eye on my boat. Maybe you will see my dog take a crap!

probably 99% of the nude people no the beach are not GQ / Cosmo models ..........
You have to be kidding, well I can strike that off the bucket list.

Steve

I thought boating was supposed to be fun? Now your talking about shotguns, paint guns and cameras, oh my!

Do you guys shoot at news helicopters or tourists with cameras that happen to wander down "your beach".

Im so glad that where I boat, that everyone is just there to have a good time!

Last year when we brought a quadcopter to the beach(no camera) everyone wanted to se it fly!!!

Drones are just a hobby, just like boating! Do you shoot at boats that come near you?

Most drones dont have cameras, do you shoot at those also?

You sit a hundred yards away and look towards the boats having fun? Should you be looking!

And last but not least, Tooner, if you want to watch my yard, thats ok! Keep an eye on my boat. Maybe you will see my dog take a crap!
Boating is fun! That's what brings us to this site. And if your dog takes a crap, I don't care as long as it's not in my yard. In either case, I don't want, or need to see the dog do it. I would not look into your yard, even if there was no fence or other things to hide it from view. And that's the point. Your business is just that - your business, as long as it does not involve me. Go back and read my first post and you'll see that the drone at Bristol bothered me only because it stayed over us, and that affects me because it could hurt me, or invade my privacy. Otherwise you can fly your drone wherever you want, 'cause then it's neither my business or concern. And as for hobbies, I have them as well, but I don't do them over your head. I'm done with this.

To end on a good note.....

families-surveillance_drone-drone-toy-plane-aeroplane-cwln3197_low.jpg

Lol .... You're worried about drones. This is a $500 point and shoot Nikon.

Yep, and there you are spying on some woman in a bikini!   

:D

I just came across this.( not that I agree  or disagree with it ) 

That's pretty cool.  The sad part is the need for such a device.

If someone is bent on using a drone for bad purposes I would assume they would use a different frequency than a store bought drone (2.4ghz) and not depend on gps either. They could be on almost any band operating that drone if for criminal intent.

This looks more like a design to interfere with hobbyist type equipment.

Steve

I realize that if someone's drone flies over that they are "just playing".

Just as when I'm seeing how many drones I can collect with my 870....I'm "just playing"!

Back