Drop in top end speed

DennisMack

Reaction score
When we got our new Q2275 windscreen with a 300hp Yamaha it topped out at 48-49 MPH.  By the end of the season I was lucky to hit 40MPH.  Yes there is some algae growth on the tri-toons but not a tremendous amount.  I frequently take a brush and clean the sides while on the boat.  I should mention the boat is kept on the Milwaukee River in downtown Milwaukee.  Used on lake Michigan and the city rivers.  I even thought maybe the center pontoon was holding a ton of water and that the bilge pump was not working but I don't have a bilge as I don't have the center floor storage.  I was able to crawl under the pontoon now that it is out for the winter and all three toons sound hollow/empty.  Any thoughts?  I don't know what pitch prop is on there but I am thinking of going up a pitch as this boat has so much torque out of the hole.rsz_bennington_2_1.jpg

Growth slows her down immensly. Have them cleaned thouroughly, if your problem persists, it may be other factors. If you run your hand across your toons and it is "rough" you're creating drag.

Last edited by a moderator:
DennisMack, When I first bought my boat which only has a 115 I never ran faster than I did in the beginning of that first year [until I added the express toon package].  I don't think you are having an engine problem, I believe it to be mostly a toon algae problem.  By the end od the year my speed drops, once the boat is out of the water and the toons are cleaned as well as possible then the speed picks back up

When it topped out at 48 - 49 mph was the boat lighter for some reason... maybe not as much gear 

Were you in it alone or with the same number of people

On my much smaller Benny any weight increase number of passengers or gear sees a drop in speed 

Algae growth would have to be significant , seems unlikely with you brushing sides while in water 

Just my opinion as a newbie :)

Hope you get the speed back to where you once were 

124827975.jpg

My boat is in the water all summer in Lake Geneva. I also lose 10 mph or more due to Algae growth. I didn't believe it until this spring when I reached my previous top speed after the winter toon cleaning. By the way, that is a nice boat. I didn't think you could put a 300 on a 22 series boat. That is awesome!

My guess is you have water in one of your toons. 

Pull your boat out of the water and make certain you have no water in any area of your pontoon. I would be suspicious of the center nosecone myself.

Just a thought and good luck figuring it out!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all that responded.  Hopefully after the Winter cleaning we will be back up to speed.  I don't think it will ever be as clean and smooth as the first day we got her.  Unfortunately we are not able to put her on a lift when not in use.   

rsz_bennington_2_1.jpg

Back