Dual Battery Setup

Nerosync

Reaction score
Looking for some words of wisdom from the pros, my new 2013 SSX only has as single battery from the factory. I would like to have a dual battery setup as I plan to do very long fishing trips and periods of time where the radio/fish finder will be on.

I have read some of the other threads but the links seem to be broken now. How hard would it be to install a second bank? How would I do it? What would I need to do it?

The dealer tried to get the factory to install it for me ,they would not do it .

The dealer is doing it for me once it arrives ,$225 including the dual switch

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's a great price actually.

I was going to do this but I ended up buying a really nice Sears power pack/battery jumper. It's a really nice jumper plus has two AC and 2 DC outlets in it. All digital readouts. I take that with me on long trips for peace of mind. I've had my radio on for hours at a time as well as my GPS/fishfiner and have never once killed my boat battery although I have a really nice Interstate boat battery. This Sears thing is just the ticket.

Wow that's a great price actually.

I was going to do this but I ended up buying a really nice Sears power pack/battery jumper. It's a really nice jumper plus has two AC and 2 DC outlets in it. All digital readouts. I take that with me on long trips for peace of mind. I've had my radio on for hours at a time as well as my GPS/fishfiner and have never once killed my boat battery although I have a really nice Interstate boat battery. This Sears thing is just the ticket.
I thought it was a little high, there is less than $150 in parts .

That's a good price for a couple hours labor. When I left Mercedes we were at $120.00?hr. That was 2005.

I guess I didn't do too bad then . I was going to get it done one way or another .

$225 is a very good price for that. Anything boat related seems to be cheaper in Northern Michigan than down here around Metro-Detroit. The labor rates here are $125/hr at the "Big Marinas" and around $90/hr at the smaller mom and pop places. A lot of people I know who have places up north get all their boat work, winterization, storage, etc. done near their cabins/lake homes. Unfortuantely, I don't have one of those and get all my work done around here. :( That was a 1 or 2 hour job you must of paid $75+ labor charge for.

Yeah, my dealership told me it would be around 400.00 and at that price I would be better off just buying a second battery and keeping it there as a spare or just carrying a jump pack onboard as a safety net.

Looking for some words of wisdom from the pros, my new 2013 SSX only has as single battery from the factory. I would like to have a dual battery setup as I plan to do very long fishing trips and periods of time where the radio/fish finder will be on.

I have read some of the other threads but the links seem to be broken now. How hard would it be to install a second bank? How would I do it? What would I need to do it?

Heres mine. I ordered it with the dual setup and my dealer installed the charger for $ 240.00 (included charger). Very happy. Gerry

Went to my dealer today to finalize the purchase of my boat (24slx, elliptical fresh water package with 150 Yamaha) and it looks great. When there I mentioned installing and extra battery that I could switch from one to the other. It just so happened they just installed one, and the price was 410.00. The owner which I was talking to said to hold off and see how I was using the excessaries in the boat before installing a second battery. He also mentioned the jumper box which I already have, so I'm going that route. You can get the jumper box for $60 and up, so why pay the $410. I'll do a little manual labor instead of flipping a switch.

We are haveing dual setup add by the dealer to our new 2550 gbr for 225.00 thats for a battery / switch / labor jist sold a 23 ft sport fish deep v and used my dual battery dailey out floating fishing gps on fishinder marine radio fm radio all on battrey # 2 all day then on the way back in 20 miles on bolth so it charges back up. I would not have a some what large boat with out this setup a well charged battery is like your fuel cant run with out it. Around 200 / 300. 00 aint bad for pice of mind out on lake for a day of fun. You can allways add your self and save a fue bucks have fun be safe

$225 is a very good price for that. Anything boat related seems to be cheaper in Northern Michigan than down here around Metro-Detroit. The labor rates here are $125/hr at the "Big Marinas" and around $90/hr at the smaller mom and pop places. A lot of people I know who have places up north get all their boat work, winterization, storage, etc. done near their cabins/lake homes. Unfortuantely, I don't have one of those and get all my work done around here. :( That was a 1 or 2 hour job you must of paid $75+ labor charge for.
Perhaps the labor is lower up here ,but everything else is higher . Gas always at least 25-30 cents a gallon higher . Groceries are higher. the closest mall ( wife likes to shop still ) is two hours away . Even a Little Caesars Hot & Ready is a dollar more ( I don't eat them anyway )

That is what you want. I have a similar charging relay, but no switch. It's very fool proof (as in the fool being me!)

You can install this yourself, just follow the instructions. If you get stuck, the guys here will help.

His link is for a switch, a relay, a battery box, wiring, connectors and hardware. That's probably why it seems so expensive compared to just the switch. I might look into one of those Yami setups as its automatic switching based on battery voltage.

His link is for a switch, a relay, a battery box, wiring, connectors and hardware. That's probably why it seems so expensive compared to just the switch. I might look into one of those Yami setups as its automatic switching based on battery voltage.
The link you posted is not mine ,click them both . :)

The link you posted is not mine ,click them both . :)
Yeah, yours brings up just the different switches on Amazon, his link is a kit that has everything mentioned.

Back