Dual Battery

JPL

Reaction score
Sounds like a stupid question, but do most members here have the dual battery?  I am getting at SX22 Stearn lounge with the stearn lounge upgrade.  Worried, I may be taking up too much storage space with this. I am getting the center storage though.  Second battery worth it?

Naturally it depends on what you do, I only have one battery I have beached and played my stereo for an hour or so and as of yet I have never had a problem.  Someday it may happen but usually when beached there are a ton of people around and I suppose I could get a jump.  First year I bought one of those stored power jumpers, just a cheap one at Harbor Freight but when my ride on mower died I tried to use it and it didn't do crap.  Guess you get what you pay for.  I think Jack bought a decent one on Amazon, maybe he could chime in 

I bought the Anker .I have not had to use it ( yet ) I do have dual batteries 

They have them on sale occasionally 

41NL9MKw7yL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Advanced-Protection-Flashlight/dp/B010DP8PIU/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1484569896&sr=1-4&keywords=portable%2Bbattery%2Bjumper&th=1

Do you need to hook those up and give them time to transfer energy to the dead battery (say 15 minutes) before you try starting with the dead battery?  I don't know, don't have one, but for those that think these don't work, you might try that next time.  Or keep it in mind when you use it the first time (for those that haven't used one yet).  

You can't start a car off a trickle charger, but a trickle charger can recharge a battery, if given enough time, which will start it. Same idea. 

And yes, I have dual batteries in our boat.  Cheap insurance. There was some wasted space next to the factory battery and that's where I put my second one.  I made sure that second battery was sized to fit my car so it could be a backup in the winter too.  Actually, I put the new battery in my car, and used the old car battery as the second boat battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running a single battery. If I ever get a trolling motor I'll add another as I have plenty of room under the rear double lounger.

not a matter of dual batteries because you always want a second charged battery on board.

What the option does is wire both of them in via a control switch so you don't have to open the battery boxes and move the terminals. probably the cheapest good option Bennington has

I only have 1 battery but if I got a new boat I'd probably get 2 just for piece of mind.

I carry this portable charger, which also has an air pump, inverter, DC power socket, and trouble light.  I had to use it once when a guy who was "fixing" my boat stereo re-wired it wrong and it killed the battery.  This jump pack started the boat right up without needing to be hooked up for a while.  It's a bit bulky but my layout has plenty of storage.

Jump Pack.jpg

My boat (purchased off the dealer lot) came with dual batteries so no decision point for me. That said, it really doesn't take up any usable storage area on my boat. For the cost involved and the peace of mind, I'd go dual if were me. 

I you really want to free up some space, I'd recommend not adding the changing station! It consumes about 2/3 of the starboard lounger on mine, and we will never use it (Although others on this board seem to. Personal preference I guess).

We don't have the center storage but still seem to have enough storage space with what we have. 

I added a second battery on mine. I hooked them up in parallel, and just leave them both pulling at all times. When one is being used for stereo or anything else, the draw comes from both. Likewise, when one is charging, both are. I've also got a volt meter that plugs into the 12V acc. plug to keep an eye on the level of battery charge. So far, no problems.

We have 2 batteries. We do float and listen to the stereo frequently.

I use one of these to manage the battery charging. Yandina Battery combiner

I have a Perko switch like this. Perko switch

When running, it charges both batteries. The motor is wired to position 1/batt 1, the rest to position 2/batt 2. When not charging, the relay opens and neither battery can draw down the other.

I leave the switch to position 1 when not switched off. If something happens to batt 1 and it won't start due to dead battery, just switch to position 2 and crank away. Never had to do this though.

Here is what the wiring looks like.

Wiring diagram

Hope this helps.

Brian

I've got the dual battery and switch to go with it...

I love it... I can sit there and switch to battery two when the boat is not running. That way I don't have to worry about killing my only battery with the audio system. 

I've got the dual battery and switch to go with it...

I love it... I can sit there and switch to battery two when the boat is not running. That way I don't have to worry about killing my only battery with the audio system. 

Look at the Yandina combiner, or similar. Inexpensive. Eliminates the need to worry about switching. The Benny is the 3rd boat I have used one on. Works great.

Back