Duck boat tragedy.....

I think the canopy is a problem on these boats, people get trapped when the boat goes down and can't escape. I read that was a problem identified in a previous fatal accident.

Watched a news blurb on this and it was scary to learn more about these. They think the side the windows were closed and that probably prevented easier exit for some.

We’ve followed this story. It is so tragic for all involved, and seems a clear situation where that type of vehicle should have never been on the water at that time. The other details just add to it. We’ve done that “Duck” ride twice in Branson, with our older kids and younger kids, over the years. Knowing the exact route, time in water, etc, has only added to our sadness and shock as more details emerge each day. Prayers for all involved.

From what I read about this it seems life vests would not have helped very much mainly because of that roof they put on there. This may have either happened or the author of what I was reading was supposing it could (this was not the first duck boat incident) but vests would have most likely caused people to float up and then be trapped under the roof. The only escape then being the sides but imaging 20 to 30 people thrashing about, the supports holding up the roof blocking the sides, the seats in the way and it starts to seem like a no win situation. The blame lies first on the boat design and second on the decision to go. I'd give the "don't worry about the vests" call third place for blame.

Sadly, can’t blame the boat design. It’s design was not intended for the purpose its being used for.

Sadly, can’t blame the boat design. It’s design was not intended for the purpose its being used for.

True, not the original design but I'm blaming those who modified it for tour group use by putting that roof on and whatever else they did to put it into it's current configuration . . . the "redesign."

This is a case of Corporate America taking advantage of a craft that has been grandfathered prior to new regulations. It was never intended to be a safe craft for pleasure. It was built for war. Take away all rules and regulations and you will have more carnage and death. What needs to be done is against the prevailing move to rid our nation of those nasty regulations intended to protect us. These water craft need to be required to meet safe nautical floatation rules or be banned. These companies can purchase safe land/sea craft if they believe it is something people want and will pay for. Sorry for the rant. God Speed to those we lost.

There’s talks of bans. I think common sense regulation could allow their use.

1. Remove roof.
2. Life vest wearing is mandatory.
3. Inclement weather restrictions.

These are interesting pieces of history and with proper guidelines could continue to be used.

Last edited:
I agree semp. Learn from it and move on. I saw they were hit with a $100M lawsuit.

Very sad. We have taken several Duck tours, don’t think we will be taking another.

Back