Duck boat tragedy.....

Did you see the video of the duck boat just before it went down? I have been on Duck Boats in three different cities and they are not what you call sea worthy. Never should have been out in that weather

Did you see the video of the duck boat just before it went down? I have been on Duck Boats in three different cities and they are not what you call sea worthy. Never should have been out in that weather
You're right. Rode the ones in DC. Don't seem very stable........Couldn't imagine being out in that weather on one....

When in Hot Springs last week, the Duck Boats entered the lake next to the condos we were staying. My wife and I had the conversation several times of how we would Not be on one of those. Of course, Lake Hamilton had the Duck Boat tragedy years ago where quite a few died. Sad deal and a very poor choice by the company.

9 out of 11 died, just from the one family on board ..... unimaginable.... :(:(

They had one get run over by a barge in Philadelphia a couple years ago and killed a couple people, I would assume some sort of safety standard has to be in place for rides like this. 31 people on that amphibious vehicle is crazy!!! I’ve looked at a couple in person and there’s no way I’d want to pilot one let alone put my own life in somebody else’s hands. Such an unavoidable tragedy!

This happened at a lake not far from me. It is all everyone is talking about.

Swimmer or not, in those conditions, the captain should have required everyone to don a vest. Hidsights always 20/20 but hopefully some strict safety regulations come from this tragedy.

The video showed the waves were coming in through the side windows for a while before it sank, those kids on board must have been terrified. The storm and waves seemed intensive enough that the boat operator should have know long before that duck went out. Now he is going to have to live with that

From what I heard on some early news reports, the weather visually “looked” ok and the storm blew in after they were out ... not sure what latest assessment is, but damn .... even we check the “radar” before we head out on our little lake just to make sure there’s nothing brewing that we don’t see .....

We check the weather too. Only 10% chance of precip today. Okay we're good. Then we see dark clouds in the distance coming in fast. Time to go! It's happened a few times........

The operator told the passengers not to worry about life vests. Not good.

The operator told the passengers not to worry about life vests. Not good.
That was what the survivor told the media the driver said at the beginning. I can't imagine, as things got worse, that the captain was still saying that. This illustrates the craziness of what media brings out before all facts are in. I've been on many flights where they say the same. "you shouldn't need these... but if you do, something went wrong" It's always said in a light-hearted fashion but it shows that we hardly ever expect the worst.
And he may have been telling them to the end not to put them on........ Just sad....

These storms popped up out of no where. Not much warning. The captain telling them not to use vests is tragedy.

The part that I struggle with is even if the captain said that you'd think another concerned parent or somebody would have said to grab them. From the video it seems like they would've had a bit of time to at least grab them and throw them on. I know hindsight is 20/20 but it's so sad that this happened and the life jackets were right there.

This is an unfortunate tragedy. It's very easy to make assumptions based on bits and pieces of information we hear from the news. I don't want to begin to imagine what the terrified passengers thought. I'm confident the investigation will reveal some poor decisions that were made and safety precautions overlooked. Our best hope is that appropriate actions can be taken to reduce the risk of this re-occurring.

This has made me sick to my stomach. No one was watching the radar. 8 hours earlier they issued a sever weather watch. Seems like someone should have had the radar running. Just terrible and reminds us all as captains to put safety first.

Back in May all of my family was in Boston for my youngest child’s graduation. All 17 of us took the Boston Duck tour. In hindsight that probably wasn’t as great an idea as it was at the time.

We live on Table Rock Lake and were home when this occurred. The Duck ride in question is only in the water for about 10 minutes and the storm with extremely high winds was tracked from Springfirld MO (where they had winds in excess of 60 mph) and there was a good half hour warning of the approaching storm. In my opinion, the Duck boats should have had plenty of forewarning of the approaching storm and should have never entered the water.
Jack

Back