Dye Spot on Seat

kcman

Reaction score
Yesterday we took some family members out for a boat ride and when we returned to our slip and began putting the cover on my wife noticed a blue stain on the seat where our sister-in-law was sitting. My wife tried to use awesome to get the stain out had no luck. We assume the stain is from a cheap dye in the jeans our sister-in-law was wearing. I have searched this forum and many have used magic eraser with good results.

I have read that magic eraser is a mild abrasive and I want to make sure I don't do harm to the vinyl or stitching. Has anyone experienced problems using magic eraser or have other tips on a cleaner to use?

As a side note -- my wife did not tell me about the stain until this morning but it will probably be a long time before I invite this sister-in-law on the boat. The stain is about a 6 inch diameter so it is not small and very noticeable. Thanks.

I got blue dye stains in my new boat because the blue tarp came loose and was slapping the seats, not good.  I used 303 and that helped some.  I then used some diluted bleach spray (which already came diluted) and it worked.  I was concerned about too much of a concentration.  Whatever is left over, if any, the sun will take care of it.

I have used fantastic( as per Bennington) & the magic eraser, it seems to be ok & works good on stubborn stains. Be sure to use 303 protectant after. Make sure it is the correct 303. The one for the canvas is not the same as the one for the seats!

+1 on the sun and UV.

Thanks to all.  Today I used a combination of 303 cleaner, magic eraser and a bleach diluted with water.  It took some time but I got about 90% of the stain out.  You really have to look hard to see the little bit that is left.  I think the sun should get the rest out.  I also put a nice coat of 303 protectant (for vinyl seats) on afterwards.  Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Along this thread. I got some blue ink on my seat this weekend. I tried 303 Cleaner and hair spray and toothpaste and none of those worked.

The spiders have been bombarding my seats from the boathouse ceiling again.  The 303 fabric cleaner is as good a cleaner as I've seen at removing stains.  I wouldn't hesitate to bring out Mr. Clean Magic Erasers as a supplemental cleaner.

I still wish there was a source of custom mixed vinyl stain/paint to refinish Bennington seats when such terrible accidents happen. 

Not sure if it's UV rays from the sun or what that fades stuff, but putting 303 on right afterwards may be counterproductive... Maybe. Just sayin.

Uv from the sun. It's happened to me twice from cheap cover ups the women wear and the sun has worked twice. I was not nearly as upset the 2nd time around.

Back